Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

stock CD play to LAPTOP

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 11:49 AM
HCF Member
Default stock CD play to LAPTOP

hey there.
I got a 00 EX coupe.
I dont want a new cd player. the old one is still good.
I want to hook my laptop with the car's sound system. I want to wire a headfone jack from the car system to my laptop.
any idea how and suggestion guys?
The guy a BESTBUY showed me a new CD player with headphone jack USB jack for my laptop. But I dont want to buy it (220 bucks)

Again, I m trying to wire a headfone jack from my car's system to my laptop, so that I could hear music from my laptop through my car.
Help me guys!!!

Old 07-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Default RE: stock CD play to LAPTOP

If your deck supports XM or Sirius radio you can get the AUX cable for them and run the av cables to a headphone jack for about $40. I did it my pioneer deck for my ipod.

Old 07-15-2006, 07:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

if its the stock head unit then i got a way..
also if your laptop has a audio head phones output.

realy quite easy! will work thru any deck! oem or aftermarket....

basicaly you need a adaptor....
something like these
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-XO-VISION-RF...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Stereo-FM-RF-Mod...QQcmdZViewItem
http://cgi.ebay.com/Farenheit-Hardwi...QQcmdZViewItem

basicaly it goes between your radios antena and radio... simply unplug your antena wire and plug this unit inbetween them.
then select the FM station you want to program your radio to be on when you want to listen to that audio source....
THEN you wire in the module and flick the switch when you want to listen to it!
then it interupts the other incoming radio signals and puts thru a clean signal to that station you set it on.

and then go to radio shack and buy some headphone to RCA adaptor cords. then simply plug it into the labtop and run the RCAs to the modual and your done!

i had it wired that way with my old towncar and labtop. worked great

you can also use the wireless ones but those are REALY SENSITIVE radio signals adjusters at least the ones i used!
im preaty sure best buy would have those... they had some before that used batteries and now i think they have one that plugs into your cig lighter plug for power. but same basic design/function.

but id say WIRED is the best!!!!

FORGOT to say..... if your headunit is a aftermarket and has RCA inputs that are selectable at any time then you can just use the headphone to rca cords!
tho i know most of my aftermarket radios have to have a cd changer with another cord for the audio signals to be selected. like my old sony... but my clarion radio has AUX inputs that are selectable at any time so i love my unit

Old 07-15-2006, 07:56 PM
HCF Member

so it will be like this FM transmiter?

Old 07-15-2006, 08:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

its something like that but thats built for the ipod.

i posted some links for some on ebay that i did a quick search for.......
as long as you can conect two wires. power and ground you can do this addition....
just depends what kinda car sometimes for the antena wire.LOL my brothers new cavilier was a HUGE PITA to add one to his car!!! had to preaty much pull the whole dash to get to it

but i belive at least for my civic its right next to the fuse box under the dash.
i know i need to add some type of amplifier to my antena wire.. just seems like at high volume i get harsh static and i dont get very good signal already

Old 07-15-2006, 08:07 PM
HCF Member

like at high volume i get harsh static and i dont get very good
signal already

this is what my bud gets for the wireless transmiter..
cool man. thank you very much!
I ll do some more research

Old 07-15-2006, 08:19 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya just go to radio shack and ask them... hopefully ya get a smart guy. LMFAO
sometimes thiers stupid people worken thier!

heres some more

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-ynVI8Cw...r&i=142FMMOD01
sorry cannt find link for radio shack adaptor cables BUT i know they have them at thier stores! cause i bought some last year!
even the stupid radio shack worker should find that right adaptor!!!!!!!

EDIT o snap i guess that crutchfield one already comes with the adaptor!!!!!!!!! your golden then....

Old 07-18-2006, 12:10 PM

ORIGINAL: POLYTHING
this is what my bud gets for the wireless transmiter..
cool man. thank you very much!
I ll do some more research
OMG, i would like to shake your hand sir. You are one of the few ppl that are willing to look into things your self to make sure you are getting exactly what you need. Congratulations, you get the smart person for a day award.

ok, that was a little out of had, but you have to realize i work pc support for a big corporation and deal with ****in morons all day. Just glad to see someone that thinks for themselves!

Old 07-18-2006, 03:08 PM
HCF Member

Any FM transmitter will not be as good quality as something wired in as an aux input. I would still say a different HU is your best option, plus almost all headunits now (even below $100) come with aux inputs.

Old 07-18-2006, 03:34 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya just be sure they are selectable aux inputs!!!!!

ive never had a sony that would let aux input work without a CD changer instaled and powered on...

i had it that way in my old towncar... i just used a quick push button video audio switch box to select from audio source... tho the radio always thought it was playing from the cd changer. which is alot of wear on the changer always spining and changing cds

id say when you go to like best buy or circuit city or ANY place that has working display models and try and select the audio input feature... it it doesnt come up then definatly dont buy that one!

but if you do wanna go for a real good quality replacement radio id say a clarion. mine playes all MP3/WMA files and has always selectable auxilary input with front and rear and sub rca outputs.
i love the thing!

Quick Reply: stock CD play to LAPTOP