Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Sub power problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 03:45 PM
HCF Member
Default Sub power problem?

Hey guys I have a problem I just can't seem to figure out. My sub keeps cutting out at higher volume on the stereo, here is the setup I'm using right now:

Sub: Alpine Type E SWE-1041 10 inch sub
specs: impedance is 4 ohms, 200W rms/600W peak

Amp: Planet Audio PA2002 \\2 channel amp, its an older amp but is suppose to be pretty good
Specs: RMS power into 4 ohms 100W*2
Bridge mono power into 4 ohms 200W*1

Now I did have my sub and amp bridged, then I removed it from a bridge setup and use just one of the channels now and that seemed to help. Is it cutting out because the amp i under powered for this sub, but remember I did have it bridged or what am I doing wrong here?? The sub is brand new and amp doesn't have any problems im aware of.

Last edited by megafandrew; 09-25-2008 at 07:15 AM.
Old 09-25-2008, 10:05 AM
HCF Member

here is a video of the power light Im thinking my amp might be underpowered?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iSkb1dXNGs

Old 09-25-2008, 12:41 PM
HCF Member

hahaha yeah man. Mine always used to do that too. Especially during longer drives. It's the amp bro. At least that's what I've been told for mine. You can get a capacitator. It's like $75 at Canadian Tire or somewhere, and it won't do that anymore.
Calgary sucks :P It's all about E-town

Old 09-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check the power wiring and grounds for bad connections. Or maybe the wiring is just undersized. You should consider replacing it with a larger amp. Capacitors aren't a panacea. Oversizing the amp is no problem as long as you are careful not to turn it up so high that the sub blows out. (in which case you already have a big amp to go with the new larger sub you're going to buy).

Old 09-25-2008, 05:46 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by bretzky.6
hahaha yeah man. Mine always used to do that too. Especially during longer drives. It's the amp bro. At least that's what I've been told for mine. You can get a capacitator. It's like $75 at Canadian Tire or somewhere, and it won't do that anymore.
Calgary sucks :P It's all about E-town
Ya must be the amp is underpowered, before my car was stolen my jbl amp could push two of these subs bridged no roblem they were loud, and actually Im trying to get a job in edmonton right now it is pretty nice, but you can't beat Calgary's cleanliness and the big city feel of downtown! lol no edmonton and calgary have pro's/cons of each both really nice places!

Old 09-25-2008, 06:06 PM
HCF Member

100 dollars on pay pay says your gain is set past half way....
is it?

Old 09-25-2008, 08:05 PM
HCF Member

lol not sure there is any gain adjustment all i know is i turned down each adjustment on the amp completely and then raised each a tiny bit, this eliminated the drawat lower levels but i still get it at higher levels, i think this amp is only supplying 200w bridged rms. is this enough for this sub? This is a completely new amp for me so im not sure on its settings i know it has these **** on it as follows:

Crossover selector (low pass, high pass, flat) phase shift (0-180 degree), high pass (105 - 1.2k), low pass (5-155), bass boost (0 to +18), level (5v to 100mv)

Old 09-25-2008, 10:06 PM
HCF Member

Check the ground. Measure resistance at the ground post on the amp, then poke thru the ground cable with your probe down away from the post....and watch the resistance go up. betcha a hundred bucks.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:29 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by megafandrew
lol not sure there is any gain adjustment all i know is i turned down each adjustment on the amp completely and then raised each a tiny bit, this eliminated the drawat lower levels but i still get it at higher levels, i think this amp is only supplying 200w bridged rms. is this enough for this sub? This is a completely new amp for me so im not sure on its settings i know it has these **** on it as follows:

Crossover selector (low pass, high pass, flat) phase shift (0-180 degree), high pass (105 - 1.2k), low pass (5-155), bass boost (0 to +18), level (5v to 100mv)

your gain is up to high thats the "level"
also turn your bass boost DOWN ALL THE WAY, its only to be used when u are using low volumes. LEVEL = GAIN GAIN IS NOT A VOLUME ****. VERY POSSIBLY U WANT MORE POWER THAN IT CAN HANDLE. u want only frequences between 20-80hz.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:53 AM
HCF Member

i think that is the problem is i want more power,the gain is down to its bear minimum and all other settings down including on the reciever I cleaned and reconnected the ground and still it will cut out, I think im just gonna sell this amp and buy a stronger amp and see what happens, my old jbl that was stolen had a much higher rms as I said and could pump 2 10" no problem,. same setup just differemt amp. I am using 4 gauge wire i think as well

Quick Reply: Sub power problem?