Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Subs. Enclosed or Free Air

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2005, 11:11 AM
Default Subs. Enclosed or Free Air

Here's my dilema:

I have a 99 EX Sedan. My wife drives it mostly, but I drive it on occassion. I have a VERY nice system I'd like to install into the Civic (including a $400 pre-amp, $1100 amp, $1100 sub enclosure, $200 cap, and $400 in wiring). I finally got permission to install the system, but the ONE holdback is the subwoofer enclosure. On our last car, it took up the entire trunk, and I NEVER heard the end of it.

I have permission to install the sub (a 12" Oz in a bandpassed plexi box), but I know I'll never hear the end of the trunck space debate. In the interest of marital harmony, I'm considering going with a couple of free-air 8-10" subs mounted in (or just under the rear deck) in lieu of rear speakers. I'd go with some Q-logics with 5.25" separates, and a matching pair of mid-basses in the doors.

Any thoughts on the viability of the install? Suggestions would be appreciated. FYI: I'd be running a good 300w rms to the sub(s). I don't need to match the bass of the 12" bandpassed sub, but just enough for good SQ would suffice.

Thanks all, I know you'll come thru for me!

Old 03-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Default RE: Subs. Enclosed or Free Air

Buy another civic or something for your wife.

Old 03-27-2005, 08:53 PM

Not quite the advice I was looking for... I have a Odyssey Touring that I drive mostly (no stereo install allowed). I do most of the kid shuttling, and my wife can't fit the Ody into her work parking stall... Otherwise, I drive the Civic.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:03 PM
HCF Member

Peel back the trunk carpet in the right side (as if you were to replcae the bulb, you will see a structure frame that you can toy with an make a plate for, it should hide an 8" beautifully, and its behind the carpet, so you wont give a thief a reason to break in... I hope that helps.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:10 PM

ORIGINAL: remington870_20ga

Peel back the trunk carpet in the right side (as if you were to replcae the bulb, you will see a structure frame that you can toy with an make a plate for, it should hide an 8" beautifully, and its behind the carpet, so you wont give a thief a reason to break in... I hope that helps.
Sounds like an awesome idea... Love stealth installs.. Where exactly are you talking about.. Floor? Like the spare tire well? or are you talking about on the side panel? Are you talking about fabricating a wooden panel along the side and mounting a 8" woofer to that? If so, would it need to be sealed..? and could I theoretically do this to both sides? It's late and I can't go check my car without disturbing the neighbors.

What sub would you recommend?

Also, what are your thoughts on the rest of my install ideas? If I'm not getting rid of the 6x9 (by using the opening for a sub), then should I factor that into a system somehow?

Thanks.

Old 03-28-2005, 01:14 AM
HCF Member

if ur really starved for trunk space just fabricate a really thin box for a single 12 inch sub....u could even make 2 seperate boxes and just put them on the left and right side of the car (the view when u open the trunk) like rite where the jack is goin to be)........then just take an L bracket and screw em down. This will prolly take up 2 cubic feet of space, but ur still allowing the capabilities for a system that will set off car alarms. Hope i was some help

Old 03-28-2005, 01:19 AM

I see MTX Thunder Boxes have a custom fit 10" box for the trunk of the 95 Civic trunk. Would that fit in a 99 trunk? It looks similar to my trunk... I can't see having two 12's in the car. 2 - 10's maybe... or maybe one 12.

I just measured (and used one of the neato calculators on www.the12volt.com ) and determined my current bandpass enclosure has over 3.2 cu ft of air space (front and back). Wow, it's huge! No wonder my wife was complaining. I'm starting to think I could get a smaller sub enclosure which satisfy the wife's AND my needs

Keep the advice rolling!

Old 03-28-2005, 08:52 AM
HCF Member

You will have to make a panel to screw into the bracket frame behind the carpet. I would use a free air sub, since all they need it seperation from their frquencies created in the front and back. You could also use on of those MTX thunder boxes but I would recommend the Q-logic form. That way y ou can put a different 10" sub in there instead of a cheap MTX sub that they normally provide for you.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:42 AM

Does q-logic make a form for the 99? I see they have one listed for the '95 gen Civic... but nothing for the 99... Are the trucks different or will the fit be an issue??

Old 03-28-2005, 09:48 AM

Does q-logic make a form for the 99? I see they have one listed for the '95 gen Civic... but nothing for the 99... Are the trucks different or will the fit be an issue??

Quick Reply: Subs. Enclosed or Free Air