Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

TOTAL NEWB!!!! HELPP WITH SOUND SYSTEM!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 12:07 AM
Default TOTAL NEWB!!!! HELPP WITH SOUND SYSTEM!!!!!!

Hey ima total newb and know nothing about sound systems in cars PERIOD!
I have a honda civic 2005 ex special edition wit the stock sound system

I want my sound system to have some more bass in it.... i want the bass to have more "BOOM" in em... haha.... PLZZ tell me what i would need... some of my friends say keep the speakers since theres 6 and the head unit and just add a amp and a sub.... but i have no clue what to do! plzzz help... others say change the whole thing the spakers head unit and add a sub and amp... I was thinking of going with just adding a amp and a sub but will that help? as i said b4 i am a total NEWB! so plzzzz help.... i love sounds so i want my car to have a better than average sound system wit NO distortion.... if anyone can help ... plz do.... also some friends are tellin me if i add a a amp and sub my speakers could blow out? i have no clue what there talkin about but if anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it! thanks

Old 03-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Default RE: TOTAL NEWB!!!! HELPP WITH SOUND SYSTEM!!!!!!

also.... the plan i was going with was to add a amp... and a sub to my stock system... would this cause any damage to the stock head unit?... and would this eventually blow out my stock speakers?..... also... how much of a difference would that do to my system... as i said b4 i just want some more bass in my car everything else... i like.... so... plzzz help! thanks

Old 03-04-2005, 12:21 AM
HCF Member

If you amp the subs only, the stock should be fine. It will be difficult to set bass as most stock h/u do not have seperate sub outs which means any inline converter would run off the sound settings..ie Bass,treble from the stock unit. This means when you turn down the bass on the head unit(to avoid distortion at higher volumes in stock speakers)the amp on the subs will also feel this decrease in signal(even with gains turned up). To avoid most sound quality probs maybe just subs, amp& head unit. Just remember most stocks bake pretty fast. Hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:13 AM
HCF Member

Ok, you dont need to get rid of your factory stuff. What you were saying you want is what Im about to tell you to get.

You need an amp with "Line Level Inputs" That means you can feed speaker wire from your back speakers into the amp... you can still have your back speakers wired too. Also those types of amps dont normally require a remote wire (a wire that connects to an aftermarket head unit and tell the amp to turn on) which saves you alot of hell. I would suggest any Harman Kardon brand subwoofer like Infinity, or JBL. Also, the amp I would reccommend JBL, all of their amps come like that and they are tough as nails. I accidently reversed the polarity twice to my last jbl amp and it never fried. Now, in order to stop the bass distorting your factory speakers, you can pick up these wonderful little things called "Bass Blockers" . They filter the sound and leave out the low frequencies that can damage the speaker. You can buy all for each speaker under $10.

Winka is selling his Infinity subs for a killer deal, I would pounce on it if I were you. Look in the member list for Winka and contact him.

Old 03-04-2005, 11:34 AM

ORIGINAL: steven10

Hey ima total newb and know nothing about sound systems in cars PERIOD!
I have a honda civic 2005 ex special edition wit the stock sound system

I want my sound system to have some more bass in it.... i want the bass to have more "BOOM" in em... haha.... PLZZ tell me what i would need... some of my friends say keep the speakers since theres 6 and the head unit and just add a amp and a sub.... but i have no clue what to do! plzzz help... others say change the whole thing the spakers head unit and add a sub and amp... I was thinking of going with just adding a amp and a sub but will that help? as i said b4 i am a total NEWB! so plzzzz help.... i love sounds so i want my car to have a better than average sound system wit NO distortion.... if anyone can help ... plz do.... also some friends are tellin me if i add a a amp and sub my speakers could blow out? i have no clue what there talkin about but if anyone could help i would greatly appreciate it! thanks

Please dude, don't use plzzzz so much plzzzz? LOL. It's getting a lil repetitive.

Old 03-04-2005, 12:33 PM
HCF Member

PLLLLLLLLLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZ

O yeah, couldnt of said it better rem.

Old 03-05-2005, 12:55 AM

haha u guys r funny ... im just a newb trying to get some help... do u guys gotta flame.. hahaha its cool though thanks for the replies though... now back to the sound system... haha i suck at this... so any other opinions on what i should do? thanks for the reply up there i just need some other opinions.. im leaning toward doing what u said

Old 03-05-2005, 01:01 AM

Also do u know if i need a new sub along wit that amp that u were talking about... and can u guys give me like ur ideas of how this will increase perfomance in the sound system or not? like the bass and ****... thanks a lot again for the help

Old 03-05-2005, 01:26 AM

oh and another ?.... Can my speakers blow out IF i was to do what u said above to my sound system.? sorry for all the posts i did...

Old 03-05-2005, 02:40 AM

also if i was to do it this way... how would i adjust the bass and ****.... through my head unit? or wat im lost! plz help! =[

Quick Reply: TOTAL NEWB!!!! HELPP WITH SOUND SYSTEM!!!!!!