Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

various amp questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 08:42 PM
HCF Member
Default various amp questions

I'm thinking about installing a four way pioneer amp into my 2000 four door LX. I've got a few wiring questions. Everybody says that you have to keep the power wire and the remote turn on wire for the amp on the opposite side of the car as the RCA and speaker wiring. How is that possible if you have to wire all the wires to the amp. I'm plannning on putting the amp underneath one of the front seats, so where would be the best places to run all my wiring. Can I use the factory wiring? If so, how do I connect it to the amp? Also, when you plug the amp in, how do you dissconnect your speakers from your stereo deck. Some of these questions may be no brainers, but I'm new to car audio.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:04 PM
Default RE: various amp questions

Ok first off the power wire yes that should be run on the opposite side of the car as the RCAs, and speakers, the remote wire... well thats arguable. Basically you run the power wire inside the car through the firewall and pick a side of the car you are gonna run it, everything else gets run on the opposite side. So lets say you bring your power wire in on the passenger side, well then place the amp under the passenger seat and run the power wire along the door molding, then under the carpet to the amp. Run your RCAs and all speaker wire on the drivers side, yes for the L speakers front and back you are gonna use more wire to get them to the amp but it will be worth it. I wouldn't recommend using factory wire, but I know of people that have used it. Scoche(spelling?) speaker wire works well, can get it at Walmart cheap, DONT cheap out on the power wire or the RCAs drop the dough and get good set. I'm gonna let one of our other audio experts answer your last question about disconnecting the speakers from your deck.

Old 09-29-2005, 09:42 PM
HCF Member

If u get a good set of RCA connectors u dont have to worry about it. Some people run the RCAs ad power differnet sides bcuz there is ground noise. If u get a good set of fosgate or whatever RCAs u dont gotta worry, cuzs theyre insulated really well. Here is a diagram on how to wire 2 amps, just pretend 1 amp isnt there and there is ur answer.

[IMG]local://upfiles/2201/7F78BDCF80A64113861731FB7E8717D2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-29-2005, 10:56 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, I'd run the power up the passenger side, under the carpet to under the seat, ground it anywhere under there and run the RCA's and speaker wire under the capret and up where the ebrake is and up in that center console.

I've read things that say the speaker wires will cause interference on the RCAs as well. On my setup, power and remote lead go up the passenger side, RCAs go up the drivers side and both speaker wires go up the side they're on (I have components with the crossovers in the trunk so two lines on each side is needed.) All my wires are high end double insulated and twisted and I get no noise at all.

PS. Yeah, the tweeter and woofer cone are both in the door. Anyone ever try getting an extra wire into the door of a Civic?[:@]