Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Who has upgraded their 2006 Civic Sedan audio?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 09:12 PM
Default Who has upgraded their 2006 Civic Sedan audio?

First post here and I just bought an '06 Civic EX sedan (w/o navigation). This audio system is pretty weak as many I'm sure will agree. I am thinkning about upgrading speakers front and rear (like Polk db's or similar) and adding a compact powered sub that I'll tap off the front or rear speaker wires (taking away a lot of the burden of the OEM amp). I don't think anyone will be messing with the head unit given the dash layout. Pissed that my salesperson didn't tell me that the '07's have an improved sound system when he knew that's something that would have interested me.
Anyone done similar? Chime in.

Old 09-03-2006, 11:07 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Who has upgraded their 2006 Civic Sedan audio?

replace the stereo first and go form there. As i have said before, the most effective upgrade to a sound system is to get a different radio.

Old 09-04-2006, 05:16 AM
HCF Member

^^Seriously.
Running a sweet set of speakers off of a stock HU is just retarded.
Upgrade your head unit.
Then your front speakers.
Then an amp to your front speakers
Then worry about the bass.
P.S. Compact powered subs are not worth the money. At all. The only way I'd even consider one is if I was leasing a car, and they wouldn't allow me to alter the sound system.

Old 09-04-2006, 08:14 AM

Have you guys seen the dash layout of the '06 sedan? It would be very difficult to change the head unit- the unit has a separate readout from the controls and is an integral part of the dash. It would have to be custom or some large aftermarket dash piece to work, and I am not going to cut up my dash.
For now, changing the head unit is not an option.

If someone has done this, tell us how and include pictures.

Upgrading speakers even with the factory amp isn't retarded (my IQ is above 90), the sound quality will improve.
As for the bass I'm looking to gain, I don't need boy-racer bass (I have a 3 year old), just something to round out the bottom end. The Kenwood compact bass unit on Crutchfield has very good reviews (for what it is).

Old 09-04-2006, 10:12 AM
HCF Member

changing the speakers without amping them will not improve the sound, trust me, it will not be noticable until you change the headunit and amp the speakers.

Old 09-04-2006, 11:59 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Timcivic

Have you guys seen the dash layout of the '06 sedan? It would be very difficult to change the head unit- the unit has a separate readout from the controls and is an integral part of the dash. It would have to be custom or some large aftermarket dash piece to work, and I am not going to cut up my dash.

If someone has done this, tell us how and include pictures.

Upgrading speakers even with the factory amp isn't retarded (my IQ is above 90), the sound quality will improve.
As for the bass I'm looking to gain, I don't need boy-racer bass (I have a 3 year old), just something to round out the bottom end. The Kenwood compact bass unit on Crutchfield has very good reviews (for what it is).
You can buy an aftermarket dash

Old 09-04-2006, 01:11 PM
HCF Member

Who said you had to butcher your dash!? Dont worry, Ive got a very easy option for you. Thank me later or air mialing me some cupcakes with green icing will do.

http://www.millionbuy.com/scoha1561etb.html

Old 09-04-2006, 01:13 PM
HCF Member

It as great reviews but most of them were reviewed in a truck. Try the Infinity Bass Link

Old 09-04-2006, 02:42 PM

OK- thanks. Guess I should have done a little searching first, huh?
Has anyone seen this Scosche kit and are they of similar quality as the original?
Also, does anyone think the Honda bass kit is worth anything?

Old 09-04-2006, 02:43 PM
HCF Member

Forget anything factory audio wise from honda. That said, the Scosch kit is very good. I would even use it.

Quick Reply: Who has upgraded their 2006 Civic Sedan audio?