Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Wire Colors

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 08:01 PM
Default Wire Colors

Sorry if this has already been posted, but I was unable to find any thread so here goes...

I've got an 89 civic, and am attempting to install a KDC-8015 Kenwood deck...
I have it wired up however, the unit only works if my car lights are on...
Why is this and how do I fix it?

Thx...

Old 10-23-2005, 09:09 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Wire Colors

Are you using an install kit or are you just splicing into the factory wiring?

You need to get a multi-meter or something to test for current. They have really simple one at Autozone or wherever for like 5 bucks.

Welcome to the forum, by the way. We'll get you straightened out.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:03 PM
HCF Member

I know exaclty why. You have wired the memory wire to the dimmer wire. They dont make many radios anymore with a dimmer feature but that is your problem. You need to take the memory and wire it to the ignition wire. Use a volt meter and find a dead wire while the car is off. Every time you find a dead wire, turn the ignition on and if the dead wire you are testing goes hot, that will be it!

Hope that helps!

Old 10-23-2005, 10:27 PM

Actually most radios now adays have dimmers.

Dont wire memory to ignition, it is called memory cause it keeps the memory of stations and settings and all that good stuff so it needs to be constant.

What did you tap for ground? Try disconnecting the ground you did tap and going straight to metal with it.

Old 10-23-2005, 10:30 PM
HCF Member

^ oops, I wasnt thinking for some reason. Im still heavily pondering on how to fix my low hanging exhaust problem.

Old 10-23-2005, 11:19 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: remington870_20ga

^ oops, I wasnt thinking for some reason. Im still heavily pondering on how to fix my low hanging exhaust problem.
You could always just put some monster truck tires on it... ; )

Dresslerb.. like Rem said it sounds like you may have mixed up the red and orange wires if you have an orange on the clip. Orange is used for illumination for dimming and such and if you wired it to that line without a constant I think it'd only work with the lights on. Also double check what line you used for constant power and ignition... Don't use the fusebox tap in, or cig lighter. If you don't have a constant or can't find one for some reason just run one straight from the battery. And like LEVIII said check the ground, you should actually tap a hole or find an existing bolt in behind the deck to ground to.(make sure it's all clear of paint by sanding the area.) also another trick is to put a dab of vaseline on the area or light penetrating lube so it doesn't get rusty. If you ever sand a spot and ground to it you'll notice later it's all oxidized.

Normally it goes like this...

YELLOW(fused) = Constant 12v. Even when the car is off, this is so the unit can keep it's memory.
RED = Ignition.12v. When the key is turned to acc the line goes hot turning on the unit on.
BLACK = Ground.
BLUE/WHITE = Remote amp turn-on lead.
ORANGE = Illumination wire. Connects to headlamp line and dims unit when headlights are on, dims with auto dim if car is equipped.
(Don't confuse this with red you may have done this in which case it would only work with your headlights on and cover with tape if not using it, can cause major problems when grounding out.)
It's good practice to cover all wires not being used to avoid any problems later on...

My new Clarion deck is like this...

YELLOW(15a fused) = Constant 12v Bus power lead.
YELLOW(3a fused) = Constant 12v Memory back up lead.
RED = Ignition.
BLACK = Ground.
BLUE/WHITE = Remote amp turn-on lead.
ORANGE = Illumination wire. Connects to headlamp line and dims unit when headlights are on, dims with auto dim if car is equipped.

Good luck...!