Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Wiring amp....Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2005, 02:04 AM
Default Wiring amp....Help!!!

Okay I know that you guys could probably answer this for me... To get that positive cable through the firewall, do you have any tips/tricks on putting a wire like that through the rubber gromet? Or do you think I could cut it open a little wider to fit the wire through there? Also, for the remote wire, do I just tap it into the remote wire going to the head unit? I would think I could since it isn't providing much power through there, but just in case. Thanks!

Old 08-26-2005, 04:38 AM
Default RE: Wiring amp....Help!!!

Plugs 15 & 16 go thru the firewall. 16 is a bit bigger and is right next to the battery.
Cutting it bigger isn't a huge problem as long as you seal it back up when your done.
Unless you like carbon monoxide and excess heat in the cab. A zip tie or some duct
tape works wonders. Hope this helps, good luck.

Old 08-26-2005, 06:52 AM

There's no problem cutting the hole in the grommet a bit larger to feed it through. After you're done, just seal it up with a bit of silicone or something similar.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:05 PM

alrighty thanks guys!!! hey I had another question about this... The am; that I got has a pin connector plug thing instead of just bolting the wires down to it... There are two pins for the positive and two pins for the ground. The pins are about the size of a remote wire or one side of a professional home theater system speaker wire. So here's my problem... The ground wire fell out of this connector piece and I couldn't get it back in, plus that wire didn't look to healthy anyway. So instead, I used some speaker wire and stuck them in the connector piece and taped the wires to it with electrical tape so they wouldn't fall out. They make a good connection and everything, but with both sides of the speaker wire used as one ground wire, it still isn't as thick as the positive wire from the battery. I'm just wondering if this would be a problem? Thanks again!

Old 08-29-2005, 04:57 PM
HCF Member

its not really to big of a deal, but your going to want to get the same size ground as the power wire because you want to have the same amount of current leaving the amp as you want going into it..

Old 08-29-2005, 11:44 PM

Swing by your local home improvement store and go to the
electrical department. They should sell wire there by the foot.
Match you size and your ready to go. GOOD LUCK!!!