Audio/Visual & Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here.

Wiring a Crossover

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Default Wiring a Crossover

Installing a pioneer headunit with pioneer amp and subs. want to put in a crossover to keep from destroying the factory speakers until I get a chance to replace them. Have anyone wired the fac speakers to a crossover before? What is the best way to do that, or is there any other suggestions on how to do it?

When I upgrade the door speakers to pioneer 3way 150 watts do I need to amp those. Heard several people say that speakers will blow if underpowered, is this correct?

Any suggestions on what crossover to get? Also, if my headunit has seperate front, rear, and sub outputs, would I need to get a crossover? 3 way crossover or just 2 way?

Old 04-27-2005, 09:16 PM
Default RE: Wiring a Crossover

you dont really need crossovers. you can add capacitors, which actually are crossovers. You dont really need them but it will benefet from them slightly. I have been running my stocks of my Pioneer for almost a year now. Yes underpowring will blow them but they should be ok fol a decent amount of time on the deck power. You will deffinatly bennefit from an amp both in sound and longevity of speakers.

Old 04-28-2005, 12:26 AM
HCF Member

ok u dont need crosovers for the pre outs.......those are just differnet RCA connectors for diferent amps......front output would be for front speakers amplilier.......oh and dude u DONT need to amplify those 150 watt speakers........they wont blow theyll be fine running off the headunit..........besdies if u have subs in ur car ur most likely goin to have ur interior speakers set up so u mostly hear the tweets anyways.

Old 04-28-2005, 09:14 AM

Going to have all four 6.5's running the mid range and have two tweeters installed in the a-pillar. with six speakers running off 50watts that would come to 8 watts per speaker. Wouldn't those need to be amp'ed if the RMS is 35 - 50 watts each.

LEVIII, how is a capacitor a crossover? thought a capacitor was for storage of power to surge to amp when the battery can't keep up with the requirements of the amp?