Autocross and Road Course Racing For sanctioned SCCA Solo events, HPDE, track days, and more

am i ready?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:43 AM
HCF Member
Default am i ready?

ive always wanted to try autocross... few friends of mine are going to nassau coliseum and its $40 all day, i want to do it but im not sure if i should... some ppl tell me to try it out and some pple dont, reason being i have no suspension mods, im a 4dr and a body kit... what do u guys think, is it risking a lot or is it worth a try?

Old 09-12-2007, 08:59 AM
Default RE: am i ready?

go! u dont need any mods to autox and it dosnt matter 2dr, 3dr, 4dr, 5dr...just sign up, race, and enjoy it. everyones first events are huge learning experiences. u learn how to autox, how the events run, how to drive ur car, a little about ur cars limitations, etc..as for the bodykit, its dosnt matter. it should be alright even if u hit a few cones. i would suggest using painters tape on the bumper just as protection for the paint incase u hit a cone.

just enjoy tossing ur car around and not having to worry about anything

Old 09-12-2007, 09:31 AM
HCF Member

thanks for the advice.... is auto x bad for ur chasis?

Old 09-12-2007, 09:34 AM
HCF Member

painters tape?? never heard of it, how does it work i jus put it around my bumper and after im done i peel it off with no damage to my bumper?

Old 09-12-2007, 09:44 AM

no, ur chassis will be just fine, so many ppl wouldnt be doing it if it destroyed their car.

painters tape is just tape thats made not to ruin the paint when peeling it off, not as adhesive as other tapes.

its the blue tape i have all over my car. just put some around the bottom of ur bumper and it'll help prevent scrapes if u hit a cone. usually if u hit one, it wont do anything but it could so its just incase.
Name:  c.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  55.6 KB

Old 09-12-2007, 10:34 AM
June 2010 ROTM

Painter's tape is also called (removable) masking tape. It's most commonly blue.

Autocrossing can take a toll on your differential inside your transmission. I contribute my differential's death to autocross, then again I had 215k on the entire transmission, so It was going to die eventually.

SO, DO IT!!!! You'll love it and get addicted to it!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Cat Fuсker

ORIGINAL: danomatic93

Painter's tape is also called (removable) masking tape. It's most commonly blue.

Autocrossing can take a toll on your differential inside your transmission. I contribute my differential's death to autocross, then again I had 215k on the entire transmission, so It was going to die eventually.

SO, DO IT!!!! You'll love it and get addicted to it!!!

I contribute your diffs death to the milage..on average that's the milage when the bearings go bad I replaced my at 198K.

Anyhow autocross is GREAT as far as learning about your car...if anything breaks than it needed replacement anyway.

Old 09-12-2007, 11:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Roto

Anyhow autocross is GREAT as far as learning about your car...if anything breaks than it needed replacement anyway.
true, only thing autox really takes a toll on with ur car is tires lol. but unless u do many events over the year, its not a big deal at all.

Old 09-12-2007, 12:18 PM
June 2010 ROTM

ORIGINAL: Roto

...if anything breaks than it needed replacement anyway.
Yep

Old 09-12-2007, 12:19 PM
HCF Member

would it still be good to do with an automatic? my car is auto, dunno if there are any events around here anyway but if there are it would be cool to do.

Quick Reply: am i ready?