Autocross and Road Course Racing For sanctioned SCCA Solo events, HPDE, track days, and more

autocross setup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 01:35 PM
HCF Member
Default autocross setup?

what would be nice for an autocross setup on a civic? also any suggestions or tips. all i got so far are just tein s-techs. Im going to get some strut bars and sway bars. What eles am i missing? Going to go autocrossing with my buddies this summer. Just need some advice and what setup you guys use. well thanks everyone.

Old 04-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Default RE: autocross setup?

depends on how much you want to spend...i know what i would get if i had about 1K:
Falken Wheel Hanabi 15x7(11lbs)
Falken AZENIS(nice sticky tires, highly recomended for autox)
KYB AGX Adjustable shocks
Eibach Sportline Spring set
some kind of sway bar, dunno yet...
nice set of HAWK brake pads would also be nice
a little under 1k for the whole set up prolly...id so be in heaven if i had that right now.

but all i have now is front/rear upper struts and front/rear lower tie bars. if this is ur first time autoxing, i suggest leaving ur car as stock as possible and running a few times like that until u know how to race without the tires talking to u and so u can get real good with a bad set up. then upgrade later on so u will be a beast. remember, slower is faster!!!!(believe it or not) what i meant by tires talking to u is when u hear the tires screeching, thats bad when that happens, u lose traction and lose time.

Old 04-03-2006, 02:25 PM

iv never heard about the tire screaching thing... i thought that meant your going fast enough.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:28 PM

when u screech your tires it might mean that ur going into a turn to fast and will lose a bit a traction, possibly all and spinning out... u might not also get the position u want to have for coming out of the turn thus losing time. and when scheeching ur tires u have to re-gain traction in which u will be losing time. having solid traction on every turn is really important so u can have a good amount of control throughout the course.

heres a really good write up about thing u should know:
http://home.comcast.net/~mikelouie/autocross.html
it is a bit long but whenever u have the time, i suggest reading it. lot of good stuff on there like the tire pressure issue and all.

Old 04-03-2006, 03:33 PM

I went to a SCCA event last year at Knights stadium in Fort Mill, SC and one of the cars was a spooned out 96 HB.
AutoX is an awesome sport. I would suggest a Koni or Tokico Adjustible shock.

Old 04-03-2006, 11:02 PM
HCF Member

Yea screaching tires are bad......You have to be RIGHT on the edge of tire-talk to get the most out of the turn....BUT the only way to get to that point is to let the tires sing till you get to know your car...and pretty much every time you change your setup you'll in SOME small way have to relearn the car...but you'll getit!! Ya know I was thinking bout doing the autoX myself!! I say go 4 IT! Maybe after you get hooked you can help me talk myself into it!

Old 04-04-2006, 09:50 AM
HCF Member

Thank you for all the advice, have to save up now. Just to tell you guys im only 16 and working for only 6 bucks an hour so yeah. Well thanks for all the help. Cant wait to go, well maybe. Again, thank you.