Autocross and Road Course Racing For sanctioned SCCA Solo events, HPDE, track days, and more

Memphis Autocross

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 08:44 PM
HCF Member
Default Memphis Autocross

Ive been very interested in getting into this, and I believe I saw in the Autocross FAQ that I can do this in Memphis.
I still have a few questions that I would like some help with.

I have a stock 1998 Honda Civic and I may end up getting an intake and exhaust, and new rims/tires, and lowering itbut that will be later on..but would my car be in the same class while its stock, and even after I get these upgrades? And what is this class called? (I saw that I need decals/magnetics on my car, and they have numbers and the cars class right? Im wondering what mine would be) Also, can I pic any numbers, or do I have to get into contact with the people in MEmphis and set up this stuff? Last for now, what are all of the things that I need, besides decals/magnetics, helmet and a harness (just things that are needed, not sugested?)
Thanks in advance for help.

*edit* Since my car is stock height (pretty high) would lowering it with just lowering springs help with turning?

Old 07-30-2007, 02:59 PM
Default RE: Memphis Autocross

-I have a stock 1998 Honda Civic and I may end up getting an intake and exhaust, and new rims/tires, and lowering itbut that will be later on..
* I suggest leaving it stock for when u start autoxing. it'll give u some time to learn ur car better and learn some of the important things that come with autoxing. running a stock car for a lil while then upgrading will give u a better appreciation for ur future mods, esp when u learn how to drive.

-but would my car be in the same class while its stock, and even after I get these upgrades? And what is this class called?
* if ur car is bone stock, u'll be placed in H Stock(HS) class. if u upgrade ur suspension or do minor performance mods such as I/H/E, u'll be bumped to Street Touring S(STS).

-(I saw that I need decals/magnetics on my car, and they have numbers and the cars class right? Im wondering what mine would be) Also, can I pic any numbers, or do I have to get into contact with the people in MEmphis and set up this stuff?
* u may not need magnets. some regions allow using blue painters tape to create ur number/class. say ur number/class is 50 STS, u'll write out on both sides of ur car with the tape "50 STS" large enough so everyone can see clearly. u can pretty much pick any number up to 3 digits length, but, u cannot choose the same number as someone in ur class. for example, if someone is 25 HS, and ur running ur car in HS and want 25, u cannot use that number. its kinda first come first serve.

-Last for now, what are all of the things that I need, besides decals/magnetics, helmet and a harness (just things that are needed, not sugested?)
* u really dont need much at all. most regions provide loaner helmets which are free to use so long as u give it back after ur runs. magnets are nice, easier to use than tape, but not necessary unless ur region is strict about it. must have valid drivers license. if ur under 18, u need parental consent to race. car must be able to pass Tech Inspection, just make sure ur tires are good, battery is tied down tight, car is free of loose items, throttle dosnt stick, lug nuts are tight.

-Since my car is stock height (pretty high) would lowering it with just lowering springs help with turning?
* may help a little, but not necessarilyideal for racing.a well matched(proper shocks with proper spring rates) will do u much better.tho its muchbetter to start learning ur car and learning how to drive fastwhile it stock so u know better where to go in the future.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:13 PM
HCF Member

Thanks for your help, I was hoping that you would reply to me, I can see that you are very into Autocrossing.

Im just worried about the chances of rolling my car over. It is a daily driver, and I dont want to risk rolling it over, so I was thinking about lowering it before I start racing.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:44 PM

ur car wont flip, it'll just have massive amounts of body roll lol. the tires will lose grip and ur car will slide waaaaay before ur car would even start to lift the rear inside wheel. dont worry about it, just drive

Old 07-30-2007, 09:28 PM
HCF Member

You will get enough body roll to hit the bump stops most likely, but I agree with everything civicexracer said...he was spot on, as usual