Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

to clay or not to clay???

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 08:06 PM
February 2010 ROTM
Default RE: to clay or not to clay???

negative on the sarcastic part it was an honest question i figured i would ask since everyone was on the detailing subject...i apologize....and on teh deatiler part nope not a detailer but i do paint cars if that counts as anything

Old 04-30-2006, 08:14 PM
HCF Member

yeah i think it does.....so its all good.anyways the meguiars website has a forun that has ALOT i mean ALOT on car care and waxing and everything else cause ive joined it and it has alot of info......hope that would help you some.

Old 04-30-2006, 08:54 PM

Some clay kits come with a quick detailer as lubricant. If you just get the clay I like to use a little automotive soap mixed with water in a spray bottle. Works fine.

Old 04-30-2006, 09:40 PM

i highly recommend clay bar but not after every wash unless u wax it after every wash. the clay bar will remove the wax and dirt that isn't noticable to the eye.

my steps:
wash
dry
clay
swirel remover (apply like wax)
polish
wax

Old 04-30-2006, 10:18 PM
HCF Member

i got a question to that process you use absoulute......what do you use for your swirl remover and does that ROYAL BLUE i just bought count as the polish AND wax????

Old 05-01-2006, 01:11 PM

yea! this mourning i became a clayeri bought a meguiers kit and went to work... i did the hood first and didnt seem to notice anything...the clay was sticking even after applying plenty of lube to the freshly washed car. once i got going and figuered out to move the clay eith out it sticking, i was flying! i finished up and proceded with the waxcleaner it came with and once i was finished with that and removed it all and polished it all up. i was absolutly astonished! i had washed and waxed my car plenty of times prior to that, i was doing it about twice a week, and still didnt have as much as an improvement as i had with the bar. i say its a for sure when detailing, got me hooked. and one more thing... this is the greatest site on the net. all you people are awsome and very helpful, thanks

Old 05-01-2006, 01:31 PM
HCF Member

Hey slottie, did you notice a lot of dirt on your clay bar? That's the amzing thing to me, is you think your car is squeaky clean until the clay bar reveals the ugly truth. Glad it turned out well for you.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:13 PM
HCF Member

I've always only used the clay on cars that have visible paint contaminants...(overspray). I did use it on my Motorcycle when I bought the Zanio kit because they recommended using it before waxing. It does leave the paint very smooth but I haven't used it enough to really give a solid opinion. I did notice more fine scratches in the paint after using it on my bike so at this point I don't plan on using it unless I'm going to be buffing the paint following the claying. n8te81 I'd say use it on your car if it's been some time since you really went over the paint. That Porter Cable polisher I got would help you out removing the fine scratches too....it's kinda pricy but should last for many years.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:21 PM
HCF Member

Hey Rasky1, If you noticed more scratches on your paint after claying, it is more than likely particles picked up by the clay bar scratching the surface. You have to consistently turn and mold your clay to a clean portion to avoid this. If it fills up with contaminants, you need a new back up bar. I experienced the same thing the first few times I clayed.

Old 05-01-2006, 03:35 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I thought since the bike was new there wouldn't be much on the paint so I didn't turn the clay much. In the future I will be more careful with it. Just knowing it can put more scratches in the paint makes me not want to do it though....I'll probaly keep it to once or twice a year and then follow with a light buff and polish. I may try it out a few times on half my hood to see if it makes a difference over the next few months vs. my normal routine on the other half.

Quick Reply: to clay or not to clay???