Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

cleaning engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 09:24 AM
Default cleaning engine

whats the best way to clean your engine?

Old 05-16-2009, 12:14 PM
March 2010 ROTM

We happen to have a search button that is your friend. But here you go.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ead.php?t=9880

Old 05-17-2009, 06:47 AM

First off, never get your engine washed with water. Engines are not meant to get wet. I am using armor all with a wet towel to clean my engine. After that leave it there and don't wipe it off it will have a shiny effect after an hour or so.

Old 05-17-2009, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by francis09
First off, never get your engine washed with water. Engines are not meant to get wet. I am using armor all with a wet towel to clean my engine. After that leave it there and don't wipe it off it will have a shiny effect after an hour or so.
...it'll be fine.

Also, Armor All isn't made to withstand those temps. I don't know why you're even using it.

OP: Cover your intake, distributor, and spark plug wires with plastic baggies, saran wrap, etc. Then get some "Engine Degreaser" from the auto parts store. What I like to do is drive to the manual car wash, pop the hood, cover the stuff, spray on the degreaser and let it sit a few minutes, and then spray it all off with the high-pressure rinse you can select at the manual car wash.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:46 PM

Go to the store and get some black magic engine degreaser. It works really well. Just spray it on and then let it sit (works better if the engine is warm). Then lightly rinse the engine off. Getting your engine wet is fine. Just don't soak it because on occasion you can get a sensor or two wet.

Old 09-26-2009, 08:35 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

im gonna jack some degreaser from work and give it a try. i know its good at getting those stains out of the comercial ovens so maybe itll help my engine.. if not, oh well it was free haha. it smells good to

Old 11-09-2009, 12:57 AM
HCF Member

that's a bad idea supersize. you should stick to main degreasers that are ment for cars. some other degreasers have chemicals that can do worse to components in your engine bay.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:08 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

yeah too late... i got water in my dizzy cap so it ran like **** causint a cylender 2 misfire (spelling...).. so yeah, but it worked half decent and it was free.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:55 AM
Chubby Chaser

i use oven cleaner, it works really really good,

NOTE: DON"T PUT DEGREASER ON YOUR PAINTED VALVE COVER

Old 11-09-2009, 09:39 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

thats what i did, i used this degreaser i got from subway resturaunt. its called oven de-greaser.. it worked alright, i had black dirt and gunk all around my suspension and oil all over my header heatshield.. it cleared it right up.. i mean the paint on the inside of the bay dont look nothing like the paint on the outside but its cleaner than it was before.. i got a gallon jug of that degreaser left lol.

Quick Reply: cleaning engine