Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Detailing Sprays

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 10:11 AM
HCF Member
Default Detailing Sprays

Ok, I've seen a few people post about the new "ICE" detailing spry by Turtle Wax. I've been using detail sprays for almost 10 years now. I started out with PPC which I found at "Back to the 50's" cars show back in '96. I still think that works great but it is not as easy to find. I've also used Wizard, Meguires, Car Brite, 3M and just last night I bought a bottle of the ICE. I've been using Meguires because it works well and you can buy it just about anywhere but I love trying out new products. First thing I noticed about the ICE was that it was $3 more than the Meguires....that may vary by location but at Checker Auto parts that was the price. I applied it to the car as I would any detail spray....It sprays out almost like a fine foam. Not sure if that is better but most the other sprays come out in a fine mist covering the paint more evenly. It has a great smell unlike the Meguires but I'm not buying an air freshener so who cares what it smells like as long as it works. It does produce a good shine but it seems to take more wiping than Meguires or the PPC. Wizard sucked and I didn't even finish the bottle. Car Brite was nothing special either and seemed to streak easy. 3M = $$$. It's very possible that the sprays will work better if used on a car that has been waxed with the same product line...though I not about to try that. I have been waxing with P21S and have used only Meguires and the ICE on this car. I have not used the others in some time though I would like to pick up some more of the PPC stuff.

If anyone else has used a few different detail sprays and really likes one let me know.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:24 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Detailing Sprays

I used to be a big fan of Meg's quick detail, but for the last year or so, I've been using Black Magic Wet Shine. It works so much better than Meg's QD. It enhances and deepens gloss much better than MCD, (especially on dark colors) It leaves absolutely no streaks, doesn't attract a lot of dust like Meg's, and comes off with minimal effort. I don't give a flip about big names and well known products I go with what works. I don't know about BM's other products, but they are on point with the QD. I was sceptical about trying it at first, but I broke down and got it one day and haven't looked back since.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:41 PM
HCF Member

Yeah I seen that stuff last night and almost bought that too....I know what you mean about the Meguires and the dust....I thought it was supposed to help stop from attracting dust! [8D] They all seem to produce a good shine...I also noticed some seem to do better on filling in the fine scratches picked up from washing.

Old 04-27-2006, 01:53 PM
HCF Member

Black Magic's QD does a good job of hiding those fine scratches you mentioned and some marring as well, as good as a QD can accomplish that is... Actually, my mother in-law turned me on to BM's QD. She has a black E430 Benz that I detail for her quite often and I noticed it had been looking pretty good in between waxes. So she mentions that she had been using BMQD. I've heard nothing but horror stories about BM's line of products, so I was like, whatever. But I tried it out despite their rep, and was pleasantly surprised.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:32 PM

The thing with QD's is they're getting more complicated now. A lot of them are adding carnuaba's and sealants so they're almost spray waxes or sealants. For pure qd's my favorite is probably Sonus Acrylic Spirtz. Final Inspection by Megs is ok too. I also like Poorboys Spray and Gloss.

For the mixes I really love Optimum Car Wax, which is really a spray on car wax and not a qd, but most folks use it like one. I'm also really liking Finish Kare's FK425 because it's an anti-static that actually works.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:49 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: picus

The thing with QD's is they're getting more complicated now.
...not to mention that every manufacturer has been coming out with a new one every day of the week. Like Meguires for instance...they have at least 3 detail sprays now! I'm guna go broke trying them all out! [8D]

Old 04-27-2006, 05:11 PM

Hah, man I am right there with you...

Old 04-28-2006, 11:34 AM
HCF Member

i never hear of anyone using Mothers products..i use the wax and black to black and it works really nice, i use black magic soap when washing, and im thinking about buying the mothers detailing spray..ill let you guys no how it works out

Old 04-28-2006, 02:48 PM
HCF Member

Mill$civic, I have a bottle of mother's detailing spray that I received with their clay kit. It's is pretty good, has a kind of cinnamon smell to it as well. On my paint, it doesn't quite produce as much depth and gloss as Black Magic's qd. I think it just may have the edge on Meg's qd though. BTW... Your ride looks sweet man. I just noticed your gallery updated with the new wheels and kit. Well done!

Old 04-28-2006, 06:44 PM
HCF Member

oook ......so the black magic QD is at the top of the list then???....i still have to go buy some for my civic tomm cause my ROYAL BLUE just came like 30 min. ago so im gonna use that then i need to have a good spray to use thats why im liking this thread so far....JAKE id like to know from you too about this cause you have exp with black cars which is what color my civic is.

DE DE DE!!!!

Quick Reply: Detailing Sprays