Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Door panel issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 11:22 AM
HCF Member
Default Door panel issues

Ok, when i bought my car (2000 Civic EX coupe d16y8) the previous owner said the windows came out of the tracks, but it turns out he just stared at it holding down the button dumbfounded. Needless to say the regulator or some piece is stripped and the window just bounces. So, went to replace it and there is a little screw right by the power lock and inside the door handle crevice. Usually i would just use my dremel to cut a notch in it and then use a flathead screwdriver and easily remove it. Its just in such a weird place that this hardly seems an option.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:29 AM
HCF Member

Both of those slide out, with the screws removed. The lower panel (window switches) gently pry up the back and slide backwards. The door handle one always just kind of popped out for me. Then remove the speaker cover and take out the 3 screws for the speaker and the 3 for the door panel. Pull off the bottom and push up. The panel will come off. Then look through the speaker hole and make sure the window is in the track. Remove the track bolt (lower right) to put the window back in it.

Old 01-25-2010, 11:58 AM
HCF Member

well thats what im saying, i have every screw out but the one on the door handle. Ill go try again, but it wouldnt slide. It was hanging on by that one screw.

Old 01-25-2010, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

Yeah, you gotta remove that screw. Open the door handle (like you're exiting the car) and unscrew it. That's the easiest way I've found to do it. Then it will just pull/slide off. The key is to be gentle with these

Old 01-25-2010, 01:17 PM
HCF Member

have no idea how i forgot, but i forgot to mention i stripped out that screw. thats what i meant to ask for help on lol. getting the door panel off is easy but i stripped a screw in a retarded place!!

Old 01-26-2010, 05:39 AM
HCF Member

Ouch man! Dremel tool on the screw for the win? Maybe see if you can get a flat tip under it and turn with pliers? You could always break the plastic up to get it off and look through a junk yard for a new one... Maybe not in that order

Old 01-26-2010, 06:51 AM
HCF Member

What norbster 86 said. You can try to bend the screw head out into a flat shape that you can turn with pliars. You can also use the cutting wheel on a dremel to make a flat head slot in the screw head. Another option is to carefully drill out the screw with a small drill bit. Basically you want to drill to just the size of the screw shaft, then you can pull it on out.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:24 AM
HCF Member

well the place where it is now, almost impossible to get my cutting wheel in there. maybe use a piece on my dremel to hold it perpendicular to the door and cut, like a tattoo gun or something? my cutting wheel just wont get in there because i have to hold the dremel sideways.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:15 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, tattoo gun is what I was thinking... but maybe the screw driver and pliers would be better?

Old 01-27-2010, 05:46 AM
HCF Member

no. i meant use a drill bit on my dremel, cut hold the dremel straight up and down, cut a notch, but hold it LIKE A TATOO GUN. yeah lemme give my car a sweet tattoo that says mom. lol

Quick Reply: Door panel issues