Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Interior Redesign

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 05:54 PM
Default Interior Redesign

I am planning on painting all the vinyls in my interior midnight black instead of that dark grey colour. Is there any special way to do it or is it just vinyl paint on vinyl, dry and reinstall. Im also going to replace the ?trim? (that piece of carpet in the centre of the door above the arm rest, under the handle) with a red fabric with a black tribal pattern down the length of it. How do I remove and replace that bad boy? Black and red bucket seats. And my roof and floor carpet is going to get replaced with black carpet (suprise, suprise) with a white tribal patern down it with UV lightsilluminatingit. This is just a case of taking the guts out of the car and replacing it all I assume. Anyone got any advice? Is it possable to do a DIY on it or is it a bit too much? How do you think that will look?

Old 02-22-2007, 06:04 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Interior Redesign

Fabric on door DIY http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1182294
Painting Vinyl Pieces https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_235420/tm.htm

As for the carpet, you can buy it at home depot or lowes. I find that pool deck carpeting looks and works the best. Just cut it to fit, which is a pain, and use spray adhesive to attach it.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:57 AM

Thanks for that. However I am not to keen on loosing the texture of the stock dash. So I am considering skipping the sanding steps. Or is it unavoidable that you loose the texture so I should sand it anyway?

Old 02-23-2007, 08:11 AM
HCF Member

Then you should just skip the sanding, clean everything wiht rubbing alcohol, paint cleanup(not thinner) or something of the sort to get all the greases and oils off. This is probably the most important part. Any grease or oils left on will cause the paint to peel and chip later on so make sure you do this very thoroughly. After your done witht hat rinse/wipe everything off with water and let it dry. The two brands of paint Id reccomend would be duplicolor or krylon. Do a couple coats of primer, being sure to let them dry. Then do several coats of your color and if desired a coat or two of clear. I did this on all the vinyl in my old hact. Everything turned out great but the door panels which peeled after a few months. Im guessing since they have the most contact there were more oils on them then I suspected. I used a can of plastic primer I bought at lowes, regular duplicolor filler primer and krylon plastic paint from walmart.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:16 PM
HCF Member

Use vinyl dye instead of paint. It soaks in if I remember correctly, which should allow you to keep most of the texture.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:50 PM

http://www.stockinteriors.com/?gclid...FRI_UQodvxkkGg
this is where i'm getting my carpet. they have all kinds of colors and textures... from stock grey, it neon orange. and its molded just like stock... perfect replacement.

Old 03-18-2007, 07:48 AM
HCF Member

Good thread have you got it complete yet if so can we see some pics.I want to do the same thing but in glossy black

Old 03-18-2007, 08:15 AM

get scotch brite pads and scuff stuff and this will keep the texture and get the oils out. vinyl dye for a spray gun is more expensive then jus regular paint might hold up a lil better then jus base/clear paint..

Old 03-18-2007, 04:12 PM

don't do it the ghetto spray paint way. buy some of the vinyl dye, and do it right. i'm sick of people sanding their dashes smooth, and complaining about glare.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:25 PM
Super Cereal Admin

ORIGINAL: Dustin

don't do it the ghetto spray paint way. buy some of the vinyl dye, and do it right. i'm sick of people sanding their dashes smooth, and complaining about glare.
The ghetto spray paint way actually works if you do it right

Quick Reply: Interior Redesign