Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Nasty foggy Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 06:26 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Nasty foggy Headlights

seee i dont get this.. before i had the tail lights i had now i had the stock ones and they were foggy as hell!!!! my car is a 98 and my dad has a 93 accord and his lights look brand new no fog at all.... how come is hasnt got foggy yet and mine got foggy?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:41 AM
HCF Member

nice .. were do u get that stuff ... my headlights look just like that ... ive been looking for a
way to clean them ...

Old 01-11-2008, 05:17 PM
HCF Member

I used plasticX to good effect and minimal effort for just minor touch ups on mine, say when you ae waxing and cleaning your car top to bottom/inside and out.

Old 01-21-2008, 11:02 PM

nice .

what series of refined sandpaper did you use for grinding??

Old 03-14-2008, 01:30 PM

don't waist ur time w/ products... simply get a rag + water + baking soda and taadaa the same exact affect, i know, cuz i did it and it looks as good as new now

Old 03-15-2008, 05:18 AM
HCF Member

I believe those generation of accords still used glass for their headlights instead of the polycarbonate, like your headlights.

Old 03-25-2008, 04:20 PM

Meguairs Plastx -- About every 6 months to keep them clear.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:24 PM

I have the same problem, and I looked into several ways of taking care of it. I saw several diy videos on youtube, then researched the commercial products. Apparantly the commercial products say you can't do it yourself because it will haze again without their special sealer or something.I dunno if that's the pastx stuff silver's talking about or not. Anyway, I'm gonna give this technique a shot but if anyone knows what that sealer is it'd be great

on a side note

I remember the commercial sites I went to generally blamed this problem on the sun, kind of a sun-plastic burn thing, and that's why you need their stuff to protect it from UV lights. I saw some tints for lights that apply like well.. tints to make it look like your lights are fogged.. anyone think these would help keep the sun off too??

Old 03-26-2008, 08:16 AM
HCF Member

It's meguiars Plastic-X and it can be found at Walmarts. It's good for mild hazing, but i prefer just using it as a polish. wet sanding the headlights with 400 grit or above sand paper gives the best results. If you want to retain that look your gonna need to apply the polish like you would with wax on the paint of your car. It losesalot of the UV coating that prevents the polycarbonate lens from damage. This is why it hazes in the beginning. You could probably put a coat of clear on the lens to lengthen the effect.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:39 PM

blah.. I bought plastic-x and realized it wasn't really for a full blown restoration job. So I went to autozone and picked up a lil product they had for it - it came in a sealed bag, simple instructions. It came with 4 sand paper pads of 2 different grits. some polishing compound they called CV1, and a final compound they called CV2. CV2 was very watery and hardened rapidly, said to use 2 coats.. not sure what it was but it seems it was some kind of product that hardens ontop of the lens to protect it from UV. Anyway, they came out looking pretty brand new, which was a huge step because I couldn't even see the bulb through the haze. Took me about 30 minutes total. and the product cost me 20 bucks. not bad considering tire kingdom here charges like 90 bucks for the service. Plus it has a lifetime warranty (if you keep the original receipt). Kind of makes me wanna start a service offering this. Posting ads at walmarts and laundrymats offering to do it for 40 or something.. nice easy money providing a service that would cost them twice as much elsewhere.

steve

Quick Reply: Nasty foggy Headlights