Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Step By Step Guide to making your Exterior Look 'Like New' (Thanks to you guys!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 04:24 PM
Default Step By Step Guide to making your Exterior Look 'Like New' (Thanks to you guys!)

Hey Guys - Ok, I've been browsing the forum for awhile and have actually been getting confused how to properly wash my vehicle and wax it.

If I may...

See NEXT Post.

Thanks!

Old 08-25-2007, 05:20 PM
Default RE: Noob to Washing a Car, Waxing & Sealant

Ok... the following is what I have gathered from my research. A compiled DIY - Make your car look like you just drove it off the lot. This is thanks to the knowledge of the Honda Civic Forum as a whole. I'm doing this for myself -- I'm going to wash my new car for the first time myself. Want to make sure I don't f*ck it up because it seems to be a process I don't want to hurt my car's exterior. Props to Xoopiter for a lot of the tips I'm writing in here.

What you NEED (suggested):
-Sheepskin Mitt or a good plush chenille or a microfiber mitt
-Reliable Car Soap ie Mother's OR Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo
-Clean/Prep Surface ie Meguiar's Deep Crystal or Meg's Scratch X (and once a year - a clay kit @ this point)
-A polish ie Meguiar's Dual Action Cleaner Polish
-A reliable Wax ie Meg's #26 yellow wax, or zaino or whatever your favorite wax is
-Microfiber Towels
-PERSONAL PREFERENCE - California Water Blade
- Glass Cleaner ie Armor All or Stoners (+ glass friendly towelettes.)

Ok. The process involves patience, but will pay off.

First - Make sure your windows are rolled up. I've read some 'interesting' stories on here about people who've washed their cars with their windows cracked open. Poor interior.

Second - Begin by giving your Honda Civic a good rinse with a High-Pressure Hose removing all loose debris/dirt (and salt if Winter). This is essential by ensuring you won't grind any dirt into the paint when you 'soap' it up. Spray everywhere - top to bottom including the wheels and wheel wells. IMPORTANT: If using the High-Pressure Hose, don't go too close to the paint, you make damage it.

Third - Now it's time to break out your 'mitt' or chenille. Add a cap full or two of your selected soap of choice to your mitt and work it on. START by lathering it in from TOP to BOTTOM doing your Wheel Rims LAST. This is to prevent any dirt/brake dust from your rims working their way into your nice paint job. You may use a Coarse brush on your wheels if they're really dirty. (There are special cleaners for Wheels, but Xoopiter recommends using plain ole Car Soap to be adequete enough)

Fourth - After you feel you've 'lathered' your Civic thoroughly enough - begin to rinse the vehicle down with your (high-powered) hose. Again, if using a High-Powered hose, not too close! Start from the TOP and work your way DOWN.

Optional Step - Repeat process (brush Civic with foamy water & rinse off again)

Fifth - Dry off with a clean shammy or by using the Water Blade to do the bulk of the drying. Squeegee the water off the car making sure to WIPE THE BLADE AFTER EVERY STROKE. To finish drying use a microfiber towellette gently over the vehicle (especially in those hard to dry spots).

Optional Step - At this point, you COULD use a clay kit, but it's recommended only once or twice a year.

Sixth - Clean by prepping the surface with Meguiar's Deep Crystal system paint cleaner or any other paint cleaner & Meguiar's Scratch X. Two Highly recommended Surface cleaners - and again... a clay bar if necessary.

Seventh - Now Polish your Civic with a reliable Polish ONE PANEL at a time. Wait until Hazy then wipe off. Not Rotate/Buff. This will clean the surface even more than just the prep surface cleaners by removing any previous water spots, swirls, etc.

Eigth - Protection comes now... you DEFINITELY have a clean surface so a good wax is in order. Meguiar's #26 Yellow Wax, Gold Class, etc, etc. Wax each panel at a time with a buffer... wait until Hazy and then wipe off using a clean microfiber cloth. Apply with ONE side... Wipe off with OTHER side. Do not Rotate/Buff area.

Ninth - Finally, some Black Magic Detailer is in order for those finishing touches for that final shine with a CLEAN microfiber towelette. As well... Going over the windows/mirrors with Stoners Invisible Glass (or your favorite glass cleaner) using a Window/Streak Free glass towelette for that super clean look & a quick spray of a tire protector to prolong their life.

Smile.

Total Estimated Time: 2 Hrs. 45 Mins.

Don't rush it & always use clean towelettes.

I think that's it. Anything anyone can add, please do! Thanks. I'm going to do this tomorrow morning! I'll be visiting Autozone & Pep Boys tomorrow early.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:08 PM

i thought i read somewhere in one of the DIYs that it better to take off the sprayer (if you used one) after you lather it up to help prevent water spots. but who knows, i just got a new Ex '07. my first brand new car, so i'm trying to baby it as much as possible.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:53 PM

Good post. Im going to try doing it with the cleaner, polish, and then wax (possibly with a buffer, if I can borrow a good one somewhere) and see how it turns out instead of my normal wash and then wax. My 95 dx still has stock harvard blue pearl paint and its lost most of the clear coat and a waxing makes it look good but only for a day or two.

Im actually picking up a 2000 Civic Ex this week for $400 and planning on turning it into a prodject car and the paint on it is MINT condition so it will be a good one to work with!

Old 09-27-2007, 08:24 PM
HCF Member

^^^ you lucky bastard lol $400 is a steal!

Old 09-28-2007, 05:24 AM
HCF Member

Looks like a rpetty good write up. Maybee next time i go to PA and have access to a orbital buffer will give this a whirl lol..Pun intended

Old 10-28-2007, 12:41 AM

ORIGINAL: LuV2SkRaTcH

i thought i read somewhere in one of the DIYs that it better to take off the sprayer (if you used one) after you lather it up to help prevent water spots. but who knows, i just got a new Ex '07. my first brand new car, so i'm trying to baby it as much as possible.
You want to make sure all the soap is off before you take off the sprayer then just let the water run slowly down each panel...It prevents spots and makes it easier to try since less water is on the car.

Old 11-04-2007, 04:42 PM
HCF Member

how would u claen rims? just hose them down?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:53 AM
HCF Member

can i get all of these products at my local autozone and about how much should i look at spending. i mean the last thing i want to do is screw up my brand new 2008 honda civic si by giving it a cheap or improber bath. also i usually wash my car about once every two weeks. is that too often or not enough.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:45 PM
HCF Member

over the summer when its "car season" i wash my car once a week

Quick Reply: Step By Step Guide to making your Exterior Look 'Like New' (Thanks to you guys!)