Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

swirl marks

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:03 AM
HCF Member
Default swirl marks

I was trying to get some summer bugs off a few weeks ago and used some ice liquid claybar, it says to rub pretty hard, I did now I have streaks/swirl marks...what's the best way to get these out?

Old 10-20-2009, 09:58 AM
HCF Member

Maybe try waxing your car? maybe that would help a little?

Old 10-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

wash the car, claybar the car, wax and polish

Old 10-24-2009, 07:39 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by josephdstone
I was trying to get some summer bugs off a few weeks ago and used some ice liquid claybar, it says to rub pretty hard, I did now I have streaks/swirl marks...what's the best way to get these out?
I have ice liquid claybar and I promise you it does not say rub pretty hard. You're supposed to spray the liquid stuff, basically creating a slip for the claybar.

You gently glide the bar over the wet surface until it stops gripping.

And I had a couple spots on my car where I pressed too hard and caused streaks, they go away easily. I just rewashed then waxed, all streaks gone. I should polish one day to try and get rid of swirls previously there.

Old 10-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

i got this ice polish stuff for free, i tryed it and it made my car real shiney and took away the swirl marks too. have 3 rags ready, apply with one, wipe off with another and buff with another, it lookd rly good

Old 10-24-2009, 03:02 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya on a black car it takes alot of work to remove those swirel marks... keep waxen and buff by hand.

Old 10-26-2009, 08:01 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Wax is not intended to remove swirls. Carnaubas will sink into the swirls making it appear that they've gone away but that's a bandaid solution at best.

You need a good Polish (not to be confused, like above, with the act of wiping excess wax residue after waxing). Autozone and other stores like that carry Meguire's/Mother's stuff which is okay for normal polishing. Any serious paint correction should be done with products like Menzerna (preferably by someone who knows wtf they're doing)

Old 10-26-2009, 10:44 AM
Sir Banned-a-lot

agreed. and like i said, that ice polish really worked for me, and it was free XD

Old 10-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Recognized HCF Member

i use that ice stuff also. i used there claybar stuff which isnt to bad but not as good as a real clay bar obviously, and then i use there wax.
i always do both at the same time never just the one. guess i should have said that.
but black is not forgiving at all when it comes to swirls or dirt showing! which makes it a real PITA... BUT when shes all shined up and clean.... SHES PERTY!!!!

Old 10-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

i just wash my car with this soap/wax combo, then i use the ice polish and it makes my 12 year old paint look brand new haha

Quick Reply: swirl marks