Detailing Discuss detailing your ride within.

Washing Car Noobie Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Default Washing Car Noobie Stuff

Hey guys, Ive been stalking around the forum for a little bit and decided to make an account to ask a few questions

So I've read up on the DIY Washing car and searched around about washing and waxing etc. I just got back from washing up my car, I'm only 17 and just got this my Civic in March. I hate to say it but I've been doing the lazy half asser wash jobs up tell now (rinse with hose, use rag cloth and some random brand x soap, rinse and just leave it to dry...no waxing ever)

Got a few questions to ask tho, I was washing my car and using Meguiars gold class shampoo all was going well with my new chenelle mitt. And for once i dried my car. I used a terry cloth that was brand new, but it was leaving little bits of itself on the car (like little fibers or strings or something only about like half a centimeter or less long, tiny but noticeable) all over the car...so i rinced them off and used a microfiber towel to dry the rest. (dunno if their ment to dry but hey it worked out)

So the questions I have are, should I even use the terry cloths at all?? Because the microfiber one was alot better from what I saw.
And, I bought a five pack of the MF cloths for pretty cheap, are they a one time use??? (sorry if questions sound pretty dumb but gotta remember im new at this car fanatic stuff )

And I would have bought a cali wiper blade but uhhh 39.99$.. ..maybe later

Hope i didnt do anything to stupid with my wash but I gotta do it again in a few days....Salt on roads [:@][:@]

Old 12-05-2006, 08:04 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Washing Car Noobie Stuff

What's up 4thgen and welcome to the forum,

Yes, continue to use the microfiber for drying... You can buy a larger microfiber towel for drying. Try pak shak for very good quality waffle weave microfibers in all sizes. Or just go to Wal- Mart, they are ok as long as you're careful not to press down too hard with them. Pak shak is much better though...You can wash them over and over again, just don't use any fabric softener when drying...

Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo is a great choice for washing your car...

Drying blades are great as long as you don't get debris caught between it and the paint...

Grab some Meguiar's foam applicator pads and your favorite wax... buff with microfiber. As you layer the wax it will produce a slick surface becoming easier and easier to dry...

Since you haven't been drying after washes in the past, I would suggest claying. There is more than likely a ton of debris on your paint.

Good luck and post some pics while you're at it...

Old 12-05-2006, 08:40 PM

Hey thanks for quick reply

Yea I had seen something about clay on one of the many pages I looked at, but it sounded fancy and more of a showcar thing, but hey i'll look into it. Yea I'll post picture later, unwaxed and covered in snow hehe.

Another question, about waxing, soo I put wax on the foam applicator? then i rub that onto car, and buff with a microfiber towel? (if theres some internet page with some pictures for a rookie like me thatd be great )

Also, your car looks fricken awesome, what wax do you use?

Old 12-05-2006, 09:01 PM

Yea thats the basic, you use the applicator pad to put the wax on then you wipe/buff off the wax by hand. OR if you would like, you can take the microfiber towel and fold it into a square,use one side to put wax on then flip it over and use the other side to buff it off. If you can get it, i use Shine Master made my Wizards. Not sure if you can get it or not (I use it at work) but it works great. You might be able to get it at a Napa store.

Check it out: Wizards Products

Old 12-05-2006, 10:16 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 4thGenDriver
Thanks for the comment bro. I use Meguiar's #26 yellow wax. Basically the wax is put on after a lot of prep work. Prep work is far more important that any wax applied to a car... Process rather than product...

Clay is not some fancy product for show cars. It is simply a means of cleaning your paint of contaminants and debris that washing and waxing don't remove. Definitely take a look into it.

Old 12-12-2006, 09:10 PM

Hey thanks for quick reply

Yea I had seen something about clay on one of the many pages I looked at, but it sounded fancy and more of a showcar thing, but hey i'll look into it. Yea I'll post picture later, unwaxed and covered in snow hehe.

Another question, about waxing, soo I put wax on the foam applicator? then i rub that onto car, and buff with a microfiber towel? (if theres some internet page with some pictures for a rookie like me thatd be great )

Be careful if your thinking of using clay as it can scratch you car. Be sure to use a lot of lubricant, no pressure and knead often. Also, regarding waxing you may want to consider using a sealant/polish like Duragloss which will last around 6 months, then put wax on top of the sealant. Has a great, wet look!

Howard

Old 12-12-2006, 10:58 PM

What exactly should I use for lubricant to clay my car, if weather holds out i'll be doing it this weekend.

Thx

Old 01-18-2007, 11:55 AM

Sorry for not responding sooner as I don't go on this site too often. Not sure it will help anymorebut you can use a clay lubricant or Quick Detailer. Take a look atAutogeek website, they have a ton of products.

Howard

Old 01-18-2007, 12:39 PM
HCF Member

What exactly should I use for lubricant to clay my car, if weather holds out i'll be doing it this weekend.

Thx
You can use any quick detailing spray or even soapy water. Meguar's quick detailer at wal-mart for $4 is a good one. A special note. I can't stress this enough. The clay bar itself will not scratch your car. It's the debris that clay picks up that scratches your car. That's why you have to turn it often. When it gets too filled with debris... trash it. If you drop it... trash it.