ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

from 35mpg to less than 30mpg?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 01:47 PM
Default from 35mpg to less than 30mpg?

I am a proud owner of a 1989 Civic LX 1.5 with 205,XXX on the engine. I do not race or care about euro-tail lights. I do care about keeping my Honda in great shape and getting the best possible MPGs. I recently decided to pull the stock air filter and replace it with a cheap, short ram air intake to increase air flow, give a little bit more power, but most importantly, to get better mileage. I also replaced my valve cover gaskget due to a unrelated issue. Before my intake swap, I was getting 350-370 miles per tank. Now, I can barely get 300. On other forums, I've heard of reseting my ECU due to the increase of oxygen from my 3" intake pipe, apparently that would change the air/fuel mix. How would I exactly do that? Can I do that in my own garage? Others say I might need to pull the oxygen sensor. Please help me if you can! Thank you-

Old 10-27-2009, 02:26 PM
HCF Member

I dont see how the intake could make you lose 50-70 miles. Something else has to be wrong. When was your last tune up? Also for ***** and giggles why dont you just put the stock intake back on and see if your mpg goes back up. Also you may be subconsously be driving a little faster because you put the intake on and think it makes your car faster, or you like the new sound the intake makes so you accelerate faster so you can hear it.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

just pull your battery terminals for like 5 minuts and then put em back on, it will reset it all and you should be good to go.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:53 PM

To Croninc and Supersize; thank you for your insight!

I have done all of the tune up work on my car fairly recently. I have yet to replace the distributor, cap and rotor. I have yet to notice any ignition issues. So why fix it, if it's not broken? Right?

As for subconsciously driving faster, I guess that is a good possibility, I do enjoy the added throatiness Sharonda has now. I will however remove my terminals as advised, and see how a new tank goes, while being light on my gas pedal. If it doesn't improve, I will throw the stock intake back on.

I did replace many front suspension parts, including ball joints, tie-rods, control arms and cambers. Once I took my car in for a steering alignment afterwards, they said I had a broken coil spring. The alignment and replacing the coil spring is scheduled for Friday. So once thats all done, I will see how she reacts.

I cannot tell you how appreciative I am for your help. I love my Honda. Thank you, thank you.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:04 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by supersize
just pull your battery terminals for like 5 minuts and then put em back on, it will reset it all and you should be good to go.
honestly dude u use this exact sentence for anything anyone has wrong for their car....sorry to sound like a dick, but this isnt the answer to everything. Simply resetting the ecu doesnt do anything if there is a problem....

Old 10-28-2009, 07:28 AM
HCF Member

lmao
he isnt mechanically inclined you have to forgive him croninc