ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

aem wideband with bosch o2 sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 03:43 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default aem wideband with bosch o2 sensor?

i am currently saving up for the aem wideband the UEGO one and i noticed that it comes with a bosch o2 sensor and well my question is. My original o2 sensor has only 1 wire and the bosch comes with a 4 wire o2 sensor, will this work with my car or will it throw a check engine light? I think it will work but im not sure but just getting some imput.

thanks dustin

Old 03-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Cat Fuсker
Default RE: aem wideband with bosch o2 sensor?

As far as I know, that sensor has a narrowband out

Old 03-22-2006, 05:02 PM
HCF Member

Not that I remember. I don't think you can use it's output for your ecu.

Lemme go check.

Old 03-22-2006, 06:57 PM
Cat Fuсker

• Red Wire - 12V+ ignition power. Be sure this is 12V power when the ignition is turned on only.
There is a noise suppresion diode in the red wire, be sure to leave this inline, do not cut the wire short
before this.
• Black wire - Chassis Ground
• White- 0 to 1 Volt signal. This wire simulates a stock O2 sensor for factory computers. If you are
using a factory computer or other system that uses a narrow band O2 sensor signal you will hook this
wire up to the factory O2 sensor signal wire. See Narrow Band Simulation section for more
information on wiring.
• Orange - RPM signal input. This wire is used with our datalogging software to log rpm with the
AFR. See the RPM Signal section for futher information.
• Purple - 0 to 5 Volt signal. This signal is standard for most external datalogging systems such as
those used on chassis dynos or other onboard loggers.
• Green - Analog Ground. This provides a ground reference to the datalogging system when the purple
0 to 5 Volt signal is used.
Something I found about WMS O2 which uses a Bosch Wideband. White wire being the one for the ECU

Old 03-22-2006, 06:59 PM
HCF Member

I was going to get one too, but if im getting a pro tune I dont see a need for it.

Old 03-22-2006, 08:11 PM
HCF Member

isnt the aem wide band just like apexi vafc2? i was just wondering.

Old 03-23-2006, 01:53 AM

not even close to the same, and no you can't use a wideband sensor for you main O2 sensor, its simply for tuning and you don't even plug it into the same spot. They aren't that imortant after you get your tune but what about before. For example, with my brand new motor I can't go get it tuned until after the break in period, but I want to make sure I'm running the right a/f ratio until then, that is why I bought mine, othersise you are just making guesses.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:09 AM
HCF Member

Right, but my kit came with fuel management.......its the greddy blue box.....works fine for now......its untuneable, but made for my car and my turbo kit, and its by GReddy, so its gotta be at least decent. That works okay for me, until i get tuned.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:34 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: 97civicturbo

not even close to the same, and no you can't use a wideband sensor for you main O2 sensor, its simply for tuning and you don't even plug it into the same spot. They aren't that imortant after you get your tune but what about before. For example, with my brand new motor I can't go get it tuned until after the break in period, but I want to make sure I'm running the right a/f ratio until then, that is why I bought mine, othersise you are just making guesses.
^^ he pretty much hit it on the head... your stock sensor is a narrow band sensor and runs to your ECU, helping get it the correct a/f ratio. The wideband is a standalone setup pretty much for tuning, but can end up saving your motor by catching lean conditions early. You can intigrate the wideband into your stock setup but it will take more electronic parts and will run you a few hundred dollars... just not worth it IMO.

Your wideband kit will include a bung that you will need to take to a muffler shop and have them weld it in your piping for you. Mine cost about $10 and took 5 minutes to do. its completely standalne and just monitors your a/f ratio... the best tuning tool you could buy.

Old 03-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Cat Fuсker

Grrr.........The Bosch Wideband 02 HAS a narrowband output. you CAN use that for your ECU, but you wouldn't want to do that, just because a wideband is a tuning tool and is kinda expensive to just use that all the time.

Quick Reply: aem wideband with bosch o2 sensor?