ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

CRX Head/Dizzy Swap Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 09:46 AM
HCF Member
Default CRX Head/Dizzy Swap Help!!!

Ok, here goes nothing. I have a 1990 CRX Si. Stock block and internals. D16Z6 head and distributor. Stock ECU. I also have a P28 with jumper harness, but I'm not using it... Right now the car seems to have a bounce off rev limiter at about 3000 Revs. WTF? It also won't start when it's even kind of cold (I live in Wisconsin, kind of cold is below 20F.) So yeah... I need help much.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:01 AM
June 2010 ROTM

Okay, couple of questions for ya...

...when you did the head swap (mini-me swap) did you remove to oil jet in the stock block? Also, are the using a ODB1 to ODB0 dizzy harness to run the ODB1 dizzy with your stock ODB0 ECU?

Did you just do the swap and these are because of it or was that swap done a while ago and these symptoms are occurring now.

I'm from WI too and honestly just helped with a mini-me on a 90 Si Crx. We used the stock dizzy (after modifying its bracket), stock ECU, blah blah. The only non-stock parts were the head, VTEC solenoid, timing belt, and spark plugs.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:44 AM
HCF Member

On the Dizzy harness, my only reply is yes and no... A friend took the pigtail from the z6 donor engine, and spliced it all up so it works... now, there may be a problem somewhere in there with that, but i'm not too sure... I was told by a friend/mechanic that there is a problem with a sensor in my dizzy, meaning that it doesn't send the same signal needed for the stock ECU, and swapping the sensor would fix that... maybe i'll try going back to the stock Dizzy... is that a decent idea? What did your bracket mod. look like? How well does it work? and all those other annoying questions...

Old 03-11-2009, 11:34 PM
HCF Member

BBBBBBHHH... anybody have any ideas?

Old 03-12-2009, 05:26 AM
June 2010 ROTM

I'm SOOO sorry for not getting back to you!!

Yeah, the Z6 dizzy will only work with your stock ECU if you have an ODBII to OBDI harness. If you don't have one, and you just hard wired it, which it sounds like you did, triple check that wiring!!

Otherwise there is no problem with running the stock dizzy. Here's a crappy picture of the modified bracket...
Name:  IMG_1231.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  54.4 KB

Here's a quick MS paint description:
Name:  dizzy1.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  19.3 KB

Just not that you will have to get bigger washers to add onto the existing ones to be sure that the you get a good hold. You can see one of those bigger washers in the photo. Also, note that you should use a trial and error method. So, cut a little, then see if it fits. Have a timing gun handy.

Compared to the Z6 dizzy, the stock A6 dizzy will seemingly be vertical, where the z6 dizzy was on an angle.

If you really want to see where the dizzy has to be before you even start cutting, have someone hold the dizzy ABSOLUTELY still without it mounted, and find where the timing is correct. Make note of the dizzy angle and cut away.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by danomatic93
If you really want to see where the dizzy has to be before you even start cutting, have someone hold the dizzy ABSOLUTELY still without it mounted, and find where the timing is correct. Make note of the dizzy angle and cut away.
I wouldn't recommend taking this shortcut. Even the very slightest unnoticeable turn of the distributor can change the spec of the ignition timing. Of course it won't hurt if it's not too much, but i'm pretty perfectionistic and I like my ignition timing to be dead on the mark when i'm done adjusting it. That being said, I take the extra 3 minutes it takes to get out the timing light and jump the service connector.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:57 AM
HCF Member

You need to using the p28 ecu with a mini me head swap. The stock ecu is not tuned for the vtec or the vtec fuel and ignition maps. This may also be part of your problem. ANY time you do a vtec head swap be it ls vtec or mini me the ecu for that head needs to be used or you will run into problems like this. Yes the stock Si ecu will start and run the car but it will run like **** as you have found out. Switch out the ecus, check your wiring and if needed use the z6 dizzy. Good luck getting things fixed.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:10 AM
June 2010 ROTM

^errrrr wrong.

Sorry bud, but there are more than 1 way to do a mini-swap...

...If he wants it to run without problems for now, he'll hook up the stock dizzy and stock ECU. Then, once it's running fine, he can hook up a adjustable rpm switch to activate the VTEC solenoid.

You normally do this if you don't have a P28, or z6 dizzy, or ODBI-0DBII dizzy harness.

Old 03-12-2009, 03:24 PM

^errrrr wrong.

Sorry bud, but there are more than 1 way to do a mini-swap...

...If he wants it to run without problems for now, he'll hook up the stock dizzy and stock ECU.
+1

Then, once it's running fine, he can hook up a adjustable rpm switch to activate the VTEC solenoid.
Not recommended though. You won't have the VTEC fuel and timing maps and it won't give you as much power.
I only recommend doing that if there is no way in hell you can get the P28 and the other stuff you need. But then again, if you're not going to do it right, you shouldn't have even done it at all.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:14 PM
HCF Member

I did say the stock ecu would start and run the car it just wont run right. You get problems just like the ones this thread was started for. Not to say it cant be done cause I know it can. The best, most relieable, and painless way to do a mini me swap is to get the vtec head, dizz, ecu and if need obd swap harness.

Quick Reply: CRX Head/Dizzy Swap Help!!!