ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Distributor & ECU Instalation

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:39 PM
Default Distributor & ECU Instalation

So if you remember from my last post i had grounding problems. Well i grounded my car. Now i move onto the dizzy and the ecu/ecm. I fig i will rplace them both at the same time. The ecu looks like i just have to plug it in nothing special... is that right?
For the dizzy... i hear i can replace it without having to reset the timming. Anyone kno how?
I read http://www.autozone.com/az/cds/en_us...rInfoPages.htm
but not sure if i can count on that. Input please. I miss my SI

Old 01-30-2008, 05:03 AM
Laced with Sarcasm
Default RE: Distributor & ECU Instalation

Yes, the ECU is plug n' play, should be very straight forward.

It's nearly impossible to install a new dizzy without having to reset timing. You may get lucky and do it perfect, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Even a small fraction of an inch off, your timing will be negatively affected.

Find someone with a timing light, or pick up a $30 Harbor Freight model and get that motor timing perfect.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:52 PM

Nice car. But umm how do you time your car? I dont wanna pay too much to do it by a mech. I ask one and he said something like $500. I told a few words and then left.
Can you point me in the right direction to find out how to do it. And what exactly does a timing light do?

One more thing. Is the ecu for the 2000Si the P2T OB2?

Old 01-30-2008, 04:21 PM
HCF Member

A timing light is an adjustable strobe light. It strobes at the same time as one of your spark plugs. For my car, I have to set the timing according to the first spark plug. There's also non-adjustable timing lights out there, but in my opinion an adjustable one makes the job a lot easier.

You should check a helms/haynes/chilton's manual for how to set your timing. Chilton's and Hayne's manuals are available in most auto stores for 5-10 dollars. They'll help you for lots of DIY repair and maintenance jobs.

The basic run down for setting your timing is as follows: run car in park/neutral, loosen distributor, use timing light to see how certain marks match up between your spinning crankshaft pulley and timing belt cover, turn your distributor until the marks match up, tighten the distributor. I don't want to give you more detail than that because you really should get your hands on a service manual.

500 dollars better be the cost including the ECU and the new distributor, because a skilled person should be able to set timing in 5-10 minutes. Installation of the other parts might add up to 1 or 2 hours, tops.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:00 PM

thanks for the reply. I think i will get my hands on that manual. I have alot in store for this car and i would hate to have to always got to a mech and pay them $80+ in labor... Basically i would be paying for there knowledge, for if you know how to do it then its saves a whole bunch of money. Sometimes i feel like i am payin for there whole degree.

O and i still dont see the purpose of it(timing light). So it just strobes... How does that help? Cant you just line it up without the light? Sorry for my ignorance but i just want to learn.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:55 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

You need to be sure that, while up to temp and running, everything inside the motor is timed correctly. By that I mean the plug is firing, piston is moving, and valves are operating at the precise time in which they were meant to do so. That is why timing it with a light is essential.

When you use the light, you will instantly understand why its a useful tool, and grow to apprecaite it. If you're going to continue to mod the car down the road, having a timing light is going to help a ton.

Without a timing light, your motor will never be perfectly in time. This will cause excessive wear, bogging, misfiring, etc etc etc.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:56 PM

Hey Question i will be workin on my car on thurday. Just wanted to kno if the car will start up with the new dizzy even if it is not timed. Like i install the new dizzy and try to crank it will it start? And i was looking for the marks that tell if it is advanced timing or watever and i cant find it. its not colored in and i tried looking really hard. maybe i am looking in the wrong place. can some1 post a pic or i can post one up tomorrow and you tell me exact where i should be looking.
Thanks again for the help guys.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:24 PM

well here is the pic where should i look so i can time it? O and gusse wat... the new dizzy... one of the four prong thingys broke off the cap... wat do i do now[:@]

Old 02-06-2008, 11:00 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Forty04

It's nearly impossible to install a new dizzy without having to reset timing. You may get lucky and do it perfect, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Even a small fraction of an inch off, your timing will be negatively affected.

I've done it a couple of times and it has never affected my timing.[&:] All I do is put some marks on where the bolts go with a marker.

ORIGINAL: RebornSI

well here is the pic where should i look so i can time it? O and gusse wat... the new dizzy... one of the four prong thingys broke off the cap... wat do i do now
You can probably take it back to the store and say it was defected.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:53 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: gsumano

ORIGINAL: Forty04

I've done it a couple of times and it has never affected my timing.[&:] All I do is put some marks on where the bolts go with a marker.
Read, I said "nearly impossible." Putting marks on it is probably going to get you very very close, but chances are its still not perfect. Either way, why would anyone not want to time their motor perfectly, when it can be done so easily, and cheap!? Especially you gsumano, being boosted.

Quick Reply: Distributor & ECU Instalation