ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Engine kicks out at 119, anyway to bypass speed setting????

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2005, 06:51 PM
Default Engine kicks out at 119, anyway to bypass speed setting????

I have a 98 civic Ex that I am building. I finally got done with the outside, custom paint and all and suspension. I am now working on performance and speed. I have installed aem adjustable cam gear, aem underdrive pulleys, short ram air, crane cams stage 2 cam, and racing clutch, alond with full header back system. But, here is my problem and question. I am kinda angry that when in a drag on the commute to work, the speed setting always shuts me down at 119. Is there a way to bypass this setting or get the computer reburned or reprogramed to go to a hight mph, or just comletely turn the setting off? It's the d16y8, manual, obdII.

Old 11-23-2005, 06:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Engine kicks out at 119, anyway to bypass speed setting????

well idk that u should be going that fast, but im sure if u get some hondata u can eliminate that problem. I dont think my OBDI has a speed limiter..........

Old 11-24-2005, 03:05 AM

wouldnt a piggy back ecu fix this problem?

Old 11-24-2005, 06:58 AM
HCF Member

where do u commute to at 119 ? bonneville salt flats?

Old 11-24-2005, 08:35 AM

By 119mph shouldn't somebody have pretty obviously "won"? If not who cares anyway, it's not worth risking your life just to prove you're a little faster than the other guy, and believe me at those speeds you are putting your own life and other people's lives in jeopardy, not to mention you will be making friends with the inside of a local jail cell if the cops catch you going that fast.

Old 11-24-2005, 11:40 AM

Hondata should take care of it. Im pretty sure it removes the rev limiter.

Old 11-25-2005, 09:08 PM
HCF Member

Should we really be telling this guy how to make his car go faster? We already know that he is prolly jus gonna go faster and give himself a better chance of killing himself or other people. You shouldn't be doin 119 unless ur at a track, a classmate died earlier this week because he was driving WAY to fast. Its not worth it.

Old 11-26-2005, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the information about the hondata. I will look into that. The opinions have been appreciated. I will take into consideration of your posts about not traveling faster than 119, but beings it is my life at stake, at 2 am on an open freeway, with no one around, then I will take the chance. Don't get me wrong or take it the wrong way. I'm not doing 119 in traffic or with other cars around. I only travel at these speeds when no one is around and I have open road. But please take my opinion as I have taken yours and don't "mommy" me and tell me what I should not be doing. If i die, I die. It will be doing something that I love to do. I am sorry about your classmate though. But they new the risk when they did it, and they new the consequences when they did it. It was there choice, as it is mine. I am trying not to step on anyones throttle foot. Just thought that since everyone placed their opinions about it, which I was thinking was only going to be a technical question that I had to be answered and that would be it, but instead turned out to be mostly a moment at the dinner table with worried parents.

But, thanks for your help and opinions. I will look into the hondata. Would anyone happen to have any good sites that I could check out for hondata? Don't think this would be something I should get off ebay.

Old 11-27-2005, 01:32 AM

If all you're looking to do is remove the speed governor, hondata might be a tad expensive. I would go with a p28 ecu, and then just chip it. Its the ecu from the vtec 92-95, throws less engine codes too, and easier to deal with later if you want to add a piggy back fuel management system. Just be careful because usually when you remove the speed governor, it removes the rev limiter as well.

Old 11-27-2005, 09:33 PM

Cool, thanks man. I'll have to look into that too. I looked on the hondata site and yeah, it's a little bit expensive, but if I want to add turbo to the build with nos, would I want to go with a p28, and hondata, and still piggy back for a fuel management? Looking to do some good work to the engine and want to do it right.

Quick Reply: Engine kicks out at 119, anyway to bypass speed setting????