ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Gas Mileage Isant Right

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Default Gas Mileage Isant Right

Hey I have a 1997 Honda Civic LX, 1.6L I4 in it(not sure if its vtec) but Im getting only about 250miles out of a tank of gas. I think the specs for it are 11.9gal tank so even and avg 25mpg thats like 297miles. Whats up? My engine runs and sounds fine.

Old 07-08-2006, 06:58 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Gas Mileage Isant Right

Try checking your air filter. If it's clogged, it's going to reduce your mileage, but I would replace the OEM filter with a K&N anyway. Also, make sure that your tires are aired up to the tire specs. The easier it is to roll your car along the road, the better your mileage will be.

Old 07-09-2006, 11:36 AM
HCF Member

Your CEL should be on if it's bad, but check your oxygen sensor.

Also try giving it a tune up. Plugs/cap/rotor/injector cleaner.

Also check your fuel filter.

Old 07-10-2006, 02:09 AM
HCF Member

IF the O2 was bad, you would get an CEL as well. Try checking the long term fuel trim, if its like 9% either way than you may have a problem. If memory services me correct, you will only get a CEL if the fuel trim is above 10% either way.

Old 07-13-2006, 02:28 PM

Hey did u get it fixed because im having the same problem so let me know what u did! thanks!!!

Old 07-16-2006, 12:10 AM

Right now Im lookin to get 300 out of this tank which is still low for what it should be. So Im going to be in a couple days doing a nice tune up...Spark Plugs, Fuel Filter, Air Filter is fine tho, and Plug Wires depending on how much they are. O2 Sensor Is fine I guess im not sure how you tell if its bad. Id also like to get a new air intake thats just the streight pipe out and down to the open filter I guess ebay has it just show me what I should get.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:10 PM
HCF Member

i have the same car with aftermarket cone filter sitting on top of the intake and depending on how i drive i get 300 to 360 to a tank also do u have the a/c on all the time that make a big difference in mine. 97 LX is not v tech

Old 07-21-2006, 12:38 AM

Right now I got the a/c on cause were getting highs in the 90's with the heat index above 100. My spark plugs, plug wires, fuel filter all need to be checked/changed tho. And I want to get a new intake for it if you could maybe link me to something cheap on ebay or something that will work good that would be great. Anything to boost up my gas mileage since prices are going out the a-hole.

Old 07-21-2006, 11:58 AM

So you said the spec is 11.9 gal tank. You are only getting 250 per tank how many gal do you put it when you fill up on 250 miles is it 7.5 cuz they you would be getting like 33 MGP next time you fill up reset your trip guage and then drive it and fill it back up when it says empty then take the miles your trip says devided by the gallons you put in then what kind of fuel milage are you getting. I put 225 on per tank and i fill up and i put in an average of about 7.25 gal so i am getting about 31 MPG which isnt to bad. In otherwords how many MPG's or galons are you putting to the miles you are putting on and we can then help more. Is it really that bad.

PS> a nice tune op like mentioned above may help a quite a bit then if that dosent help change the first o2 sensor. Good luck

Old 07-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well if your running your AC all the time then it should be fine milage...
my 99 EX sohc vtec has been geting about 28mpg and during the morning my AC is off so only about 70% driving time with AC.
also depends on how heavy your foot is

Quick Reply: Gas Mileage Isant Right