ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

I can never get a full tank in one shot!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 12:40 AM
Default I can never get a full tank in one shot!

whenever i try to get full tank at the pump the handle always clicks,i have to slowly pull the handle to add more gas.my tank isnt 75 percent full but still it clicks. what is wrong with my 97 4 dr civic?is theyre sumthin in the gas tank blocking it from going in fast?

Old 12-15-2005, 02:02 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: I can never get a full tank in one shot!

How do/can you tell it's only 3/4 tank? You turn your ignition and the gas gauge reads 3/4 when it clicks off? Unless someone put something in there, there really shouldn't be anything in there, and it shouldn't matter anyway, cuz the pump handle itself clicks off when the metal hose part of the handle submerges in your tank (I'm sure, I think ) Most (if not all) people have to add more cuz the pump clicks off early. Check valve in the handle or something? (I think...Not really a gas station pump handle guru!)

Old 12-15-2005, 02:53 AM
HCF Member

How many miles are you getting to the tank?

Sounds to me like your gauge is off if it does it at different pumps.

Old 12-15-2005, 04:19 AM

so maybe my gauge is off, i dont think so cause when it click off at the pump i can still get another 5 to 8 bux in without it overspilling.
is there any others who experienced this problem? i mean it really pisses me off especially when im late for work.

im thinking the gas is splashing off sumthin in the tank and hits the sensor in the nozzle of the pump, is this possible?

Old 12-15-2005, 09:55 AM
Cat Fuсker

I have the same thing happen with my eagle summit...only that it does it at half-tank mark...so I can only get 7gallons in there fast...and than it's like 5-10 minutes to get in another 7 gallons. It happens because the filler neck goes into the tank around the half-tank mark, so once I get there, you simply can't put gas in fast..it'll overflow under the pressure and the pump will click off...and on my civic I can still get another gallon or so in after it clicks off...

Old 12-15-2005, 12:47 PM
HCF Member

when ever it clicks off for me i always try to get the $ to a even amount..but i read in the honda manual that when it clicks off you shouldent add more because the gas will expand when it gets hot

Old 12-15-2005, 12:53 PM

so what u guys are saying is that its normal for this to happen?is there any trick or part to make it flow faster?perhaps a shorter filler neck or sumthin.

Old 12-15-2005, 02:55 PM
Cat Fuсker

learn to live with it...

Old 12-15-2005, 10:07 PM
HCF Member

its not normal, but i dont know what the fix is. i have the same problem on my work trucks, but thats because they are converted to dump beds, and so the bed sits just low enough to hit the filler hoses and push them down so fuel flows slow enough to back up to the nozzle and trip it off. takes me almost half an hour to fill up both tanks, about 25-30 gallons.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:15 PM
HCF Member

I dont pump my own gas. Its against the law.

Quick Reply: I can never get a full tank in one shot!