ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

my air/fuel mixture gauge no longer works?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 12:56 PM
HCF Member
Default my air/fuel mixture gauge no longer works?

It just all of a suddenstopped workingand then my check engine light went on and the CEL has been on ever since. I tried using the DIY in HCF.com for usinga paper clip by the foot panel on the passenger side to get the CEL to blink to get me the code(s), but the DIY was for a 6th generation Civic and I have a 5th. I have a Haynes manual that uses the same method but it's of no help to me. The pics just don't look the same as what I got under there and I do have the right manual (92-95). What do you think caused the air/fuel mixture gauge to all of a sudden to stop working? Someone told me the Mass Air Flow sensor or the Oxygen sensor. I would really rather figure this out on my own than have to pay for diagnostics at a shop and then figure out I can do the repairs myself and have to fork over the 40 bucks for the diagnostics. Thanks.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:24 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: my air/fuel mixture gauge no longer works?

If you have one near you, auto parts store chains like AutoZone will use a scan tool to retrieve your CEL code free of charge.

Also, I don't know if this will help, but the 2P service connector you are looking for appears to branch from the main wire harness behind the front passenger kick panel near the glove box (see picture).

[IMG]local://upfiles/25538/11E709D9F92F4E04BC28B1A451CD2301.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-14-2007, 01:28 PM

do u have awideband or narrowband AFR gauge

Old 11-14-2007, 02:45 PM
HCF Member

Im assuming you spliced into the 02 sensor wire.....it prob came undone and its throwing an 02 sensor code.

Old 11-26-2007, 11:53 PM
HCF Member

I respect you guys cuz you're an elder, a 4th Gear Member...and I am on a measley Rolling Start, but "whatchu talkin' bout, Willis?" I have no idea what a wideband or narrowband AFR gauge is.Please explain. Thanks!

ORIGINAL: MY99SI

Old 11-27-2007, 08:40 AM
HCF Member

or the sensor could have gone bad, and since the sensor is bad the A/F guage cant get a reading anymore

Old 11-27-2007, 09:39 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Lambo Civic

I respect you guys cuz you're an elder, a 4th Gear Member...and I am on a measley Rolling Start, but "whatchu talkin' bout, Willis?" I have no idea what a wideband or narrowband AFR gauge is.Please explain. Thanks!

ORIGINAL: MY99SI

Just because we have a higher post count does not mean that we are always going to be right so get opinions from more than one person and do your own research before listening to one person (generally, for future referance)
Anyway, on to your problem. Since you don't know what a narrowband or wideband is my guess would be that you have a narrowband. Not very accurate. Either your wiring came undone from where you spliced into the wires or your o2 senor went bad. First check to see that the wires are still connected, if they are not then connect them and see if that fixes the problem. If they are connected then go to autozone and have them pull your cel code for you. They will do it for free and it will tell you which o2 sensor needs replaced, either the primary or secondary o2 sensor.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:47 AM
HCF Member

pull the code yourself man, save some money, then if its a bad o2 sensor that explains it

Old 11-27-2007, 01:10 PM
HCF Member

^ Autozone pulls codesfor free

Old 11-27-2007, 01:15 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Mr Mobsta Man

^ Autozone pulls codes for free
sorry missed that part of your last post

Quick Reply: my air/fuel mixture gauge no longer works?