ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Remote keyless entry FOB programming

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2005, 05:32 PM
Default Remote keyless entry FOB programming

Hey,

I have a 1998 Honda Civic HX, and when I bought it, it didnt have the remote keyless entry FOBs (remotes). I went to the dealer and they want me to pay something like $80-90 for the remote and programming. I know I can get a remote and program it myself for $20 bucks from ebay, but all the instructions that I tell you to hit the disarm button between the AM-FM and the CD-TAPE button. I, like many others, have aftermarket headunits, so Im left wondering how I would do with with out the stock radio [X(]. I do have the stock radio in my possession, could I just put in the radio program it, and then take it out again? Here is a link to the programming instructions: http://www.handa-accessories.com/civic/98keyless.gif

Thanks!

Old 07-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Default RE: Remote keyless entry FOB programming

No, the stock radio needs to ramain in the car an plugged in for the keyless to work. DO some seaqrching around here as it has been talked about several times and I belive you find alot of useful info.

Old 07-23-2005, 01:10 PM

I probably should have searched the forums before posting that. Yeah I saw some pretty useful information. I know what I need to do next!

Thanks!

Old 07-23-2005, 09:51 PM

no problem

Old 07-30-2005, 11:14 AM

I'm new to this forum. I've done some researching on the remotes. I have an LX which can be programmed for Remote keyless entry. I'm wondering which remotes are able to be used on this car. I've been searching on Ebay and some have the OPTION button, which is what the factory and owners manual say, but the ones on Ebay say they work for my year (1997). My question is, does anyone know if it matters which remote you use? I don't have one to compare because it didn't have one before. Any information or links would be great. Thanks.

Old 07-31-2005, 12:17 AM
HCF Member

When I had my stock radio and replaced it the keyless remote entire still worked. I didn't have any problems at all.

Old 07-31-2005, 01:50 AM

ORIGINAL: JoeLX

I'm new to this forum. I've done some researching on the remotes. I have an LX which can be programmed for Remote keyless entry. I'm wondering which remotes are able to be used on this car. I've been searching on Ebay and some have the OPTION button, which is what the factory and owners manual say, but the ones on Ebay say they work for my year (1997). My question is, does anyone know if it matters which remote you use? I don't have one to compare because it didn't have one before. Any information or links would be great. Thanks.
Youll prob have to check with the dealer.

Also, do you still have the stock deck in your car? Cause youll need it and make sure its equipped with keyless entery.