ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

Is removing ECU repeatedly advisable?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 04:38 AM
Default Is removing ECU repeatedly advisable?

Hi,
As i said in an earlier post...the ECU was stolen out of my '93 EX. I have since replaced it w/ one from a junkyard. Now i'm kind of gun-shy & am afraid of leaving the ECU in the car for fear that it will grow legs again & dissappear, so I have been unplugging it & taking it into the apt. w/ me at night Then hooking it back up in the morning before heading out for the day. I am wondering if plugging & unplugging the ECU so many times will cause any damage to it over the long run because of voltage spikes, etc....???

Old 10-06-2005, 08:10 AM
Default RE: Is removing ECU repeatedly advisable?

ORIGINAL: phearly
am afraid of leaving the ECU in the car for fear that it will grow legs again & dissappear, so I have been unplugging it & taking it into the apt. w/ me at night
Do you sleep with it under your pillow, because what would happen if someone broke into your apartment at night and snuck around and stole it?

I think you're getting too paranoid about it. If it happens again, then I could see you being worried. Then I would either watch it all night waiting to bash the thief's head in with a baseball bat or wire up some C4 to your car in case someone broke in.

Old 10-06-2005, 08:41 AM

I guess you could call it paranoid....I wouldn't be all that worried about it if this particular ECU was really easy to find & really inexpensive and the particular window they happen to bash in was cheap too but unfortunately the answer to all is "it's not"....at least not to me. I'm not rich by any means & I like to be able to go out in the morning have a usable car to drive to work in. Also the time wasted calling around to hundreds of junk yards & sitting checking Ebay for ECU's could be better-spent. To me, right now, it's not paranoia...it's preventative measures. :-)

Old 10-06-2005, 08:45 AM

ORIGINAL: phearly
I guess you could call it paranoid....I wouldn't be all that worried about it if this particular ECU was really easy to find & really inexpensive and the particular window they happen to bash in was cheap too but unfortunately the answer to all is "it's not"....at least not to me. I'm not rich by any means & I like to be able to go out in the morning have a usable car to drive to work in. Also the time wasted calling around to hundreds of junk yards & sitting checking Ebay for ECU's could be better-spent. To me, right now, it's not paranoia...it's preventative measures. :-)
I hear ya!

Old 10-06-2005, 09:01 AM
HCF Member

lol get an alarm or something. Thats great thou.........crooks tryin to hotwire the car would be like "Wtf why wont it start?"

idk about pullin the ECU everyday man...........just get an alarm if ur THAT worried..............by the way where do u live? Compton?

Old 10-06-2005, 05:48 PM
mxs
HCF Member

^ seconded. Save up for a decent alarm.

Old 10-06-2005, 05:52 PM
HCF Member

The best alarm in the world wont' prevent "smash n grab."

But, yeah, that's a little paranoid. Lightning never strikes twice. Bolt that sucker down with some Torx screws. Who carries Torx wrenches with them?

Old 10-06-2005, 06:38 PM
Cat Fuсker

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper

But, yeah, that's a little paranoid. Lightning never strikes twice. Bolt that sucker down with some Torx screws. Who carries Torx wrenches with them?
I carry torx with me all the time...and all kinds of security bits:-D But I ain't busting into somebody's car...make a bracket with a lock which you can't easily rip out and you're set....and get a decent alarm

Old 10-06-2005, 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Kolhoznik
I carry torx with me all the time...and all kinds of security bits
Do ya think Kolhoznik took your ECU?

Old 10-06-2005, 09:30 PM
mxs
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper

shh, we're trying to make him LESS paranoid.

Quick Reply: Is removing ECU repeatedly advisable?