ECU Tuning & Fuel Management Discuss electronics and related components within.

venom 400 control module question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 07:21 PM
HCF Member
Default venom 400 control module question

has anyone ever used the venom 400 control module in a civic with the d16y8, i was thinking about getting it. it says it adds 25% hp between 1000 and 5000 rpms and you can shut it off when you want to. does it give noticeable power, and does it effect emissions. thanks.

Old 10-21-2006, 09:49 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: venom 400 control module question

Dont know on a civic but i had one on my lifted toyota pickup and the only time it made any difference was going up hills it took a little longer before i had to shift down. Is it worth buying? In my opinion no you could hardly, if at all tell it was there. just my 2 cents

Old 10-21-2006, 11:47 PM
HCF Member

One guy used it with his 93 coupe. It didnt really do jack squat. It will only make a big difference with extensive modifications... all motor modifications to be more accurate. With the proper setup of boosting, you wouldnt need it.

Old 10-22-2006, 06:57 PM

I HAVE A VENOM 400 MODULE IN MY 98 CIVIC EX WITH AUTOMATIC IF DRIVING IN 4TH OR OVERDRIVE IT GIVE IT A SLIGHT HESITATION SOMETIMES.THE WAY IT WORKS IS WHEN YOU POUND THE GAS IT TELLS THE ECU TO GO TO FULL RICH INSTANTLY INSTEAD OF WAITING FOR THE O2 SENSOR TO SAY HEY ADD MORE FUEL. I HAVE AN INTAKE,THROTTLE BODY,INTAKE MANIFOLD FUEL INJECTORS,FUEL RAIL FUEL PUMP FUEL REGULATOR AND A HOME MADE COMPUTERIZED DRY NOS SYSTEM WITH A 90 HP BOOST IGNITION UPGADED COMPLETELY AS WELL THE VENOM MAKE A DIFFERENCE IF YOU HAVE THE FUEL SYSTEM UPGRADED WITH THE INTAKE AND ALSO FULL EXHAUST (HEADERS HIGH FLOW CAT AND CAT BACK) I AM CURRENTLY DEVELOPING A PUSH BUTTON SHIFT SYSTEM FOR THE AUTOTRANS

Old 10-22-2006, 07:23 PM
HCF Member

well i have a full magnaflow exhaust, header, aem short ram,b&m fuel pressure regulator and i am thinking about the skunk2 intake manifold and 62mm throttle body. the car has a manual tranny.

Old 10-22-2006, 07:32 PM
HCF Member

I would not BS you, and quite honestly, dont buy it. It is a waste of $. In order to propery all power by "tuning" the motor you need a dynometer. This module uses a "Basetune" Basically this means they get 1 honda civic, and tune it to add power..........every engine is different. Granted its the same engine, but they all have different specs.....some make more power than others. For that price id look into a custom tune/fuel management. You might see 25% more power with the Venom, but for the same money a good tuner can make u see more power,.........at a safer, more reliable Air Fuel Ratio.

Old 10-22-2006, 08:19 PM

PETE SORRY BUDDY BUT GET A CLUE THE VENOM MODULE ATATCHES TO THE VOLTAGE OUT ON THE TPS (THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR) AND ALSO THE VOLTAGE OUT ON THE MAP SENSOR (MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESURE) WHEN YOU HIT THE GAS AT 25% THROTTLE THE VENOM SEND A SIGNAL TO THE ECU THAT THE MANIFOLD PRESURE CHANGED CAUSING THE INJECTOR PULSE TO LENGTHEN TO INCREASE FUEL BEAUSE IT IS BETER TO BE SLIGHT RICH THEN LEAN THE ECU GOES FUL RICH THEN CUTS IT BACK SLOWLY UNTIL OPTIMUM MIXTURE PROGRAMMED IN THE STOCK ECU ARE ACCEIVED TRICKING THE ECU INTO ADDING MORE FUEL CAN NEVER HURT ESPECIALY WITH NOS[sm=badbadbad.gif]

Old 10-22-2006, 08:29 PM

THER IS A COMPANY THAT CAN CUSTUM PROGRAM THE FACTORY ECU AND CIVIC 2000 THE SKUNK 2 MANIFOLD SUCKS BIG *** I PURCHASED ONE BECAUSE IT WAS CHEAP AND I WAS TOLD BUY MANY SKUNK2 IS THE WAY TO GO I SPEND OVER 56HRS DOING EXTENSIVE PORT CLEANUPS WITH MANY $1000S OF DOLLARS OF TOOLS MEASURING TO MAKE ALL THE PORTS EVEN ONCE THEY WERE EVEN I BORED OUT THE THROTTLE TO A 66 MMTO MATCH THE FLOW RATE OF THE FOUR RUNNERS ALSO THE HEATER CORE HOSE THAT GOES THROUGH THE MANIFOLD IS IN A BAD ANGLE LIKE THE MACHINE FIXTURE WAS OFF WHEN MADE SHOWING LACK OF QUALITY THE FINISH SUCKED MY FRIEND BOUGHT SKUNK2 COIL OVERS A SET OF FOUR FOR HIS ACURA INTEGRA 2 OF 4 LEAKED OIL RIGHT OUT OF A SEALED BOX DIRECTLY FROM SKUNK2 SO I DONT RECOMEND THEM AT ALL UNLESS CHEAP IS WHAT YOU WANT I DONT LIKE CHEAP POORLY MADE STUFF I CONTACTED SKUNK2 A FEW TIMES FOR DIFFERENT THINGS LIKE THE IDLE CONTROL VALVE DID NOT REMOTLY FIT SO THEY TOLD ME IT NEEDS A SPECIAL BRACKET DO THEY SELL IT NO THEY ARE NO HELP AND THERE STUFF IS JUNK

Old 10-22-2006, 11:05 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: RIPPS A LOT

PETE SORRY BUDDY BUT GET A CLUE THE VENOM MODULE ATATCHES TO THE VOLTAGE OUT ON THE TPS (THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR) AND ALSO THE VOLTAGE OUT ON THE MAP SENSOR (MANIFOLD ABSOLUTE PRESURE) WHEN YOU HIT THE GAS AT 25% THROTTLE THE VENOM SEND A SIGNAL TO THE ECU THAT THE MANIFOLD PRESURE CHANGED CAUSING THE INJECTOR PULSE TO LENGTHEN TO INCREASE FUEL BEAUSE IT IS BETER TO BE SLIGHT RICH THEN LEAN THE ECU GOES FUL RICH THEN CUTS IT BACK SLOWLY UNTIL OPTIMUM MIXTURE PROGRAMMED IN THE STOCK ECU ARE ACCEIVED TRICKING THE ECU INTO ADDING MORE FUEL CAN NEVER HURT ESPECIALY WITH NOS[sm=badbadbad.gif]
You get a clue buddy, it is not better for power to run rich. It is best to run as lean as you can w/o knocking and on top of that no bolt on civic needs more fuel than what it gets stock.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:06 PM

MARTY you are partialy correct optimum mixture is what makes the most power a little richer runs slightly cooler and cooler also is less wear ans less heat related damge. i installed the exhaust in the civic first, headers included it ran so lean that the headers damn near got cooked they are stainless and once the fuel system was upgraded the high under hood temps were gone buy as much as 65 degreesF yes to rich hurts but to lean hurts more think of the inside of the motor like a fire more air it burns hotter less air less heat when running nos if you cant aford to take the car to the dyno shop after every mod up the fuel to be safe worst that happens is the ECU shortens the injector pulse by a few mili seconds. as far as the VENOM 400 IT TAKES THE ECU COMPUTATION TIME OUT OF THE QUESTION I HAVE SPOKEN DIRECTLY TO THE ACTUAL PERSON AT VENOM PERFORMANCE WHO DESIGHNED AND BUILDS THEM IT IS NOT A MIRRACLE OF ELECTRONIC HORSE POWER BUT YOU WILL NOTICE A DIFFERENCE AND AS FAR AS GAS MILEAGE YOU LOOSE ABOUT 3 MPG BUT IT HAS AN ON AND OFF SWITCH CIVIC2000 HOPEFULLY THIS HELPS

Quick Reply: venom 400 control module question