ED-EF Swaps 1991 and older Civics, CRXs

89 D16A6 block with 97 D16Y8 head

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2005, 06:25 PM
Default 89 D16A6 block with 97 D16Y8 head

My main concern is what to do with the wiring. I have a the full wiring out of a 89 SI. I have the head of a Acura EL D16y8, with only the engine wiring and ECU. I want to put it in a 90 DX, cuz the car is in perfect shape. My main question is, do i have to switch the intire wiring out of the DX and install the SI, before i even think about putting the engine in? I would like to use the SI display, as it has a tack. And i know you cant just switch the display with the DX wiring. (not sure if it will work with the y8 ECU). Also do i have to use the plugs off the y8 block on the a6 so the wiring matches up? I have the block but a rod went through the side, thats why i'm not using it. The y8 head and a6 block are completely rebuilt. Read lots about people mis matching 'D' heads and blocks, so i know it will work. I would appretiate any info and tips for doing my swap. thanks a bunch

Old 06-06-2005, 09:14 PM
Default RE: 89 D16A6 block with 97 D16Y8 head

Another mini huh. sounds good your gonna like the results anyways lets get into the details. wiring is going to be a big issue and gets good that you have the si wiring for the dx model but your gonna wish you had a si model car anyways first since you have the head your gonna need the distrub, the plugs, wiring, a new head gasket, the wire harness of a si or the head, and you already have the ecu, you may need an adaptor for the ecu not sure or you can ghetto reg it. the tach issue....well i know you can do the swap cause its the same theres a lil wiring for the rpm and some other crap. well i hope i covered what you needed good luck on the mini and make sure you use the bolts of the head not the old one and also get that distrub or it wont fire.

Old 06-07-2005, 03:16 PM

Thanks Hondaboy for your reply.

Just to make it a bit clear. You're saying i should use the fuel injection system off the 89Si and just use the head distributor and wires off of the 97vtec? It sounds like it would be a lot easier then mix maching wires oil lines and what not. But i guess using the ECU From the 97 vtec head will have to be tricky. Or is there an adapter that you can buy? I'm sure when i switch the main part of the wiring on the inside of the car the tach will hook up no problem. if all i have to do is use the complete wiring from the 89, its in perfect shape and its 100 percent there. I also have the rest of an 89si in my garage for axles and what not. Already took off the intirer rear-end and replaced all the bushings, wheel bearings, breaks and even used the 89si struts and sway bar. The 89 DX D15 wont last much longer, the valves are jiggling and with a Invidia high performance exhaust, high flow cat and stainless steal headers, dont think theres much i can do to make it last. That is why i want a Vtec and not the regular 89si head.

thanks a bunch.. and list any sites you know of for scematics, please, and thank you...

GReat FORUM!!!!!

Old 06-07-2005, 05:31 PM

http://www.geocities.com/c_rexboy/minime.html

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=554053

http://www.redline130.net/minimeinfo.html

this should all the help you need good luck. get pics!!

Old 06-07-2005, 06:10 PM
HCF Member

http://www.knology.net/~jediklc/mpficonversion.htm mpfi conversion with your dx harness and mpfi parts.

you wont have any issue putting in the guage cluster as long as its a 88-91 cluster. all the wiring even though your car is a dx, it still is wired up for the si cluster and your tach will work without any modification(did the cluster swap in my old std model) i would highly advise you not to use the 96+ computer systems as your bottom end is not prepped for it. the 96+ motors use a crank angle sensor on the crankshaft instead of inside the dizzy. my recomendation to you is either convert to obd-1(if you can afford it) or completly do the mpfi converion to obd0 and have either your ecu chipped with a vtec program or buy yourself a vafc. the only peices you will need from the y8 wiring harness will be the vtec solenoid and oil pressure switch clips, everything else is not needed, even if you intend on using the y8 intake manifold your clips will match up to the y8 sensors(minus the stupid sensor under the tb) as far as the dizzy goes you will need either the pm6(si/hf 88-91) or the p08(si/ex 92-95) if you intend on obd1 conversion.

Old 06-09-2005, 04:10 PM

Well i have been doing lots of research and READING. GReat posts!! I have figured out that using the 89si D16A6 block and injectors and intake with the head from the D16Y8, that i would be able to use the obd0 - obd2a conversion harness. ( http://www.jkobd.com/0to2a.htm ) I just need to know what to do with the crank angle sensor of the ECU. Like it is posted above. I might not have a choise but to go with obd1 harness and ECU, but will that still work with a D16Y8 head distributor and vtec sensor. Also i am unsure of what the 4 wire O2 sensor? i have one that i took off the exhaust manifold from the D16Y8. I just need to hook it up anywhere on my exhaust? As i have 2 - O2 sensors ports on my headers, i'm sure this isnt a problem. And if it is better to go with obd1, does anyone have any parts.

Still unsure of what to match up with what.

I would love to show some pics but it keeps saying the the file is too large.?!? any suggestions?

Old 06-23-2005, 08:48 AM

ALRIGHTY THEN!!!!

I just finished putting my block together with new internals. Got the head all cleaned up, and i am ready for the build. Still havent got my P28 with conversion harness yet, but atleast i know that is the best way to go. I understand now why HondaBoy said "You are going to wish you had an Si." Changing the complete wiring harness is not a real easy and a quick J.O.B.. Thanks alot to this site and to the members for helping me. I still need to know a few more things. First, whats a dizzy? Also, can i use the water pump off the D16Y8 block on the D16A6? And what Parts do i need to use off the D16A6 intake manifold on the D16y8?? Can i get away with just swapin the injectors?? I'm might be planning on doing the swap unexpectedly, as i had a sputter in my DX and checked out the spark plugs and one was covered in oil. (So much for that Ring). Still not sure the best way to post photos.

Thanks again

You're 6'10" and you drive a Civic?? wow