ED-EF Swaps 1991 and older Civics, CRXs

what are the pros and cons of a 91 hatch?

Old 11-06-2005, 04:00 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: what are the pros and cons of a 91 hatch?

naw, FI. those miata motors take to boost really well. a boosted 1.6l miata engine will make more power than the chassis really needs. but yeah, they are dogs stock.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:38 PM
HCF Member

Not to thread jack, but my English teacher gave up his Turbo II RX-7 for an automatic Miata. I wanted to kill this guy.

Old 11-06-2005, 05:48 PM
HCF Member

oh yeah, if a guys going to drive a Miata, it had better be manual. it is a borderline flamer car, but an auto is for girls and yuppies.

Old 11-06-2005, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: sacicons

oh yeah, if a guys going to drive a Miata, it had better be manual. it is a borderline flamer car, but an auto is for girls and yuppies.

Old 11-11-2005, 10:33 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Mad7s

Not to thread jack, but my English teacher gave up his Turbo II RX-7 for an automatic Miata. I wanted to kill this guy.
What was he smoking? Must have been some strong stuff.

Old 11-29-2005, 09:24 AM

The pros to a 91 hatch are its a hatch its the last year of the body style and when modded right they can be pretty quick (not Fast).
THere are no stock rear disk for any hatches 88-91 but there is a decent amount of donor cars around crx si 90-91 90-93 integra that you can get rear disk from. As for drifting it is possible with a front driver but wheres the fun in that. The cons to buying an older civic is the age. You'll end up spending money on things you weren't expecting. Control arms bolts that break worn out bushings, old clogged cats, leaks etc. I've owned them all from 88-91 std,dx's,and a few si's they are great cars keep in mind that the 91 si was the heaviest of all the hatches its only a few pounds lighter then the 92 style and may be heavier then a 5th gen dx.

Old 11-29-2005, 01:16 PM

ORIGINAL: feelsfast

The pros to a 91 hatch are its a hatch its the last year of the body style and when modded right they can be pretty quick (not Fast).
THere are no stock rear disk for any hatches 88-91 but there is a decent amount of donor cars around crx si 90-91 90-93 integra that you can get rear disk from. As for drifting it is possible with a front driver but wheres the fun in that. The cons to buying an older civic is the age. You'll end up spending money on things you weren't expecting. Control arms bolts that break worn out bushings, old clogged cats, leaks etc. I've owned them all from 88-91 std,dx's,and a few si's they are great cars keep in mind that the 91 si was the heaviest of all the hatches its only a few pounds lighter then the 92 style and may be heavier then a 5th gen dx.

I beg to differ on several accounts. First of all, they can definitely be just as fast as any other Civic. My 4G Si LS-Turbo was fast. The '90 Std. with the F20C swap we built was fast.

Secondly, drifting, by its very definition, can only be done with RWD cars. You can get the back end sloppy on a FWD or e-brake it, but you're not drifting.

And thirdly, 4G's are still the least expensive Civics to buy and own, even if they do need a bunch of repairs right off the bat. Not to mention the fact that they almost always outlast other generations. I've owned 6 4G hatches of my own and done swaps in countless others, so I know them very very well.

Old 11-30-2005, 07:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Kappa22

I beg to differ on several accounts. First of all, they can definitely be just as fast as any other Civic. My 4G Si LS-Turbo was fast. The '90 Std. with the F20C swap we built was fast.

Secondly, drifting, by its very definition, can only be done with RWD cars. You can get the back end sloppy on a FWD or e-brake it, but you're not drifting.

And thirdly, 4G's are still the least expensive Civics to buy and own, even if they do need a bunch of repairs right off the bat. Not to mention the fact that they almost always outlast other generations. I've owned 6 4G hatches of my own and done swaps in countless others, so I know them very very well.
I should rephrase that. I was speaking of basic mods without swaps or boost or nitrous or head swaps just the basics. Every honda can be fast if your pockets will allow it but there are many more broke car owners then wealthy ones or there probably would be no stock cars at all. PLease don't get the idea that I have no love for the hatches I've been a honda driver for the past 13 years and I'm also speaking from experience.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:37 AM

I should rephrase that. I was speaking of basic mods without swaps or boost or nitrous or head swaps just the basics. Every honda can be fast if your pockets will allow it but there are many more broke car owners then wealthy ones or there probably would be no stock cars at all. PLease don't get the idea that I have no love for the hatches I've been a honda driver for the past 13 years and I'm also speaking from experience.
Ah, fair enough. Don't worry, I'm not trying to start a fight or anything.

Old 12-04-2005, 01:06 AM

One problem, that nobody else mentioned, is inherant of all hatchbacks. When you are using the car for autocross or backroad carving, the hatch is not going to be as stiff of a chassis as a coupe. The gaping hole out the back is quite an obsticle to overcome, when it comes to chassis stiffening. A 4G wouldn't have as much of a problem as the 5G or 6G hatches, as their openings out the back are much bigger.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: what are the pros and cons of a 91 hatch?