EG Swaps 1992-1995 Civics

Frankenstein ......

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 10:35 AM
Default Frankenstein ......

So here's the story. I recently got a 93 civic with a frankenstein swap. LS block with a B16 head. The car needs work, but it runs. I am relatively new to civics and have some questions ....

1) the first question is ... the radiator isn't mounted it's just hanging by wire. I obviously need to mount it. What parts do I need and helpful hints on install would be nice.

2) I have a p28 ecu and wondering how to hook up the vtec.

That's all I have for now... more questions will come as I check off each issue. Thanks!
[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-24-2007, 11:06 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Frankenstein ......

if the radiator is hanging by wire, then the mounting tabs probably broke off long ago. and check to see if its leaking.

if it is, i highly recommend buying a new koyo radiator, which will cool your engine more efficiently since it's a frankenstein build. don't play around when it comes to radiators because engines die off pretty quickly if they overheat and crack.

as for the p28 situation, take it to a local tuner shop and see if the vtec is properly setup. if they'res leaking around the head then whoever did the frankenstein build did a sloppy job and you may need to redo it again.

if the build was done correctly, the tuner shop should be able to help you getting your ecu working properly.

Old 03-24-2007, 11:50 AM

Hey Drbyers,

Thanks for the info! Here is the situation with this car. I just picked up the car for a grand. The body is in excellent shape for a northern car. The swap was done by an individual and I know he didn't do a thurough job of it. I haven't been running or driving the car because of it. The radiator is empty... how do I check for a cracked block? I don't want to take it to a shop if I don't need too. I have a ton of questions ... would you mind if I emailed you directly? I need educated advice on this car before I go dumping my money into it. Thanks!

Old 03-24-2007, 11:57 PM
HCF Member

keep the questions open in this thread. that way others can learn and have input.

if your radiator is empty, the only way to check if its leaking is to basically fill it and run it. you'll see a leak pretty quickly. my dad used to also check for leaks on his old domestics by running a water hose into the radiator and building up the pressure to check for leaks.

and you'll know just as quick if your engine is cracked. it'll leak oil or lose compression.

if the car is not running at all, that means your friend probably wanted to make a project car out of the civic and gave up. my advice to you is to let a mechanic inspect your car.

it'll be worth $50 or whatever, because that way you'll have some piece of mind.

Old 03-25-2007, 08:39 AM

Ok, so I filled the radiator last night and I figured I would check it this morning to see if it leaked. If it hasn't, I will turn over the engine to pressurize the system and check again. Based off of the few things I have read online it seems like I shouldn't worry about anything else except the viability of this engine. Do you know what test they should conduct?

Here are the other questions... what cold air intake would you recommend for this motor. Is a hydro tranny better than cable ( I have cable)? Just a couple. for right now. I know this is not the area for these questions... it's just easier to not have to retype the story and questions 2 more times.

Thanks for all of your help! I really appreciate it!

[align=left] [/align]

Old 03-25-2007, 09:29 AM

I went out this morning to check and see if the radiator had leaked. Nothing significant.... Well, I popped the radiator cap to check the fluid level and what did I see looking back at me but droplets of milky oil. Then I went ahead and pulled the engines dip stick and couldn't keep the oil on it long enough to check it. Either it was the lightest weight oil I have seen in an engine or it was simply water. The color of the oil/water was of milk chocolate. If oil is in the radiator and water in the oil then is there any doubt that the block is cracked or is it possible that it's still just the head gasket? Do you think I should still take it in to see my mechanic? If the worst case scenario comes true what parts on the engine can be salvaged? Thanks!

Old 03-25-2007, 12:18 PM
HCF Member

take it to a mechanic.

i think your friend sold you a project that he didn't want to finish. but that's okay.

you got a shell for $1,000 and that's an awesome deal. all you have to do is fix your engine if possible. if not scour the net for a new engine.

i'd go for a b series, either an LS or GSR. I'd highly recommend a GSR engine if you can swing it.

I know an autocrosser who runs carolinahondas.com. he has an EG hatch project that he's building up.

it's got a GSR engine that he put together and it's pretty trick. and I'm sure he spent WAY more than a $1,000 for his shell.

you could also look for an H22 engine from a prelude or a D-series from a similar civic but you won't get much gain from the D-series unless you turbo it.

Old 03-25-2007, 01:25 PM

Thanks... I will shoot it over to the mechanic sometime this week. HOPEFULLY... it's just a head gasket. Since the oil is contaminated do I have to replace the engine bearings too? I Thanks for the insight, it has been invalueable!

What is your thought on engine weight and it's affect on handling? The H22 and GSR engines are definitely heavier than the stock engines. I just found a d16y8 with under 50K on it for around $500. That seems pretty cheap and with a turbo I should be close to 160 to 180 hp. Is the weight difference significant enough to overcome the hp of the GSR or h22?

Old 03-25-2007, 03:34 PM

I've seen some H22 swaps handle very well. I'm sure it takes suspension tuning though. B-series weight difference is insignificant. I'd take an LS/VTEC over a GSR. LS/VTEC will outpreform it and be cheaper. I can't speak for the reliability of the two, as I've never ran either one.

Old 03-25-2007, 05:47 PM
HCF Member

the H22a's torque gains more than compensates for the 200 pound weight penalty over a standard d-series engine.

and ls-vtecs are the best of both worlds compared to regular b-series engines. you have torque down low like the LS and have the higher rpm that vtec engines get. but be careful about revving into the stratosphere, the pistons and rods just can't handle it unless you upgrade them.

Quick Reply: Frankenstein ......