EG Swaps 1992-1995 Civics

is a non Vtec motor different than a Vtec motor?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 04:29 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default is a non Vtec motor different than a Vtec motor?

well heres the thing.....
buying this civic tomorow morning... i asume its got a Z motor in it cause it says Vtec... SOHC still its a EX civic...
BUT he said the motor threw a rod. but HOPEFULLY the head is good and reusable!

BUT anyways the question is can i take the Vtec head and such and put it on a NONvtec motor?
see what im looking for is a motor that i can slap right in this civic and still be CHEAP.... im preaty sure the NONvtec motor should be cheaper than a full vtec motor..

any idea which motor i should look for to make this headswap work? that way i wouldnt have to do any computer or wiring swaping...

but then again the head might be trashed.... i wont know until i bust into the motor! if it is ill just look for a vtec motor and i guess keep saving $$ to afford it
thought about a DOHC swap BUT i dont know. typical honda engine newbie..... read the swap sticky already H and B series but ive still got ALOT more reading before id try something like that.... BUT i think around the stock 100hp should do me just fine at least to start out with this manual tranny civic should feel ALOT faster than my 99auto vtec.LOL i swear that tranny is killing me but its my daily driver tho.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:33 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: is a non Vtec motor different than a Vtec motor?

not a pro here, but as I understand it, the motor itself is the same, the only difference is the head and of course the wiring for the v-tec solenoid. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me

Old 09-05-2007, 04:39 PM
Super Cereal Admin

the block's the same with one exception: vtec blocks have a hole for oil... with a vtec swap, you'll have to run an oil line to (I think) the solenoid.. or somewhere... I just know with a mini-me swap, you have to run an oil line. Anyway, I say just throw a B or an H in there... (personally, I'd say the H... you can't argue with 190-ish hp at the crank stock)

Old 09-05-2007, 04:44 PM

ORIGINAL: reaper2022

the block's the same with one exception: vtec blocks have a hole for oil... with a vtec swap, you'll have to run an oil line to (I think) the solenoid.. or somewhere... I just know with a mini-me swap, you have to run an oil line. Anyway, I say just throw a B or an H in there... (personally, I'd say the H... you can't argue with 190-ish hp at the crank stock)
yeah but an B or H is goin to cost him he just want to get this car running 1stbefore he put some serious money into it.

Old 09-05-2007, 05:41 PM
Recognized HCF Member

yep.... wanna get it on the road mostly..... i dont wanna spend over 1K bucks for a runable motor!

so with the Vtec its just a oil line added to make it work...... is that thru the block or can it be ran from the oil filter to the solenoid?
that sounds easy enough.... and while im at it might as well do the gaskets and timing belt/water pump swap.... just for safe measures....

Old 09-05-2007, 05:45 PM
HCF Member

D series blocks are the same you can put a vtec head on a non-vtec block and not have to alter anything. Only B and H series blocks differ as far as the oil passages.

Question though, in the nearly year and a half you have been here have you not taken it apon yourself to learn anything?

Old 09-05-2007, 06:18 PM
Recognized HCF Member

well ive never looked into motor upgrades..... cause my 99 ex is my daily driver for max MPG instead of HP...
so buying this manual civic will be my more performance oriented fun car.
ive just never realy paid attention to the motor swaps... tho i have looked at them with AAAAAAAaaaaa BUT never thought id do my own. mainly read about suspensions and cosmetic upgrades. just cause thats what ive been into....
BUT i am reading around now that im sure im gonna get this civic tomorow morning

and good thing to hear about the head swap!!!!! i just HOPE the head hasnt been damaged!
i realy wanna get this civic on the road or at least moving on its own power around the yard so i can inspect it ALOT EASIER!! wanna drive it around the yard ALOT to be sure no suprises pop up like overheating or any bad syncros in the tranny. and hopefully i wont burn up the clutch or gears myself.LOL ive only driven 2 manuals my whole life... my bus around the yard... and my old 86crx. tho i did good drove that crx all winter only minor problems mainly cause no real teacher. had to learn tricks on my own... lol

but again now i have a reason to move into more motor upgrades..... tho nothing extreme. i dont get paid enough to do any sick turbo setup but if i had the $$ i would.LOL