EG Swaps 1992-1995 Civics

now isnt that nice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 05:04 PM
Default now isnt that nice.

hey guys. I just bought a 1995 Civic DX 1.5 liter with the 6th vin digit of 8. When I bought the car I was told that it was using about a quart of oil every 3k miles. This was dealable. After owning the car for a couple three days (about 800 miles) I had the oil changed because the oil was very dark. Since the change I have had to put a quart of oil in every 200 miles, and today I actually had to put 2 quarts in. I have looked for an engine in the area and cannot find the exact engine that is in the car. Can I get some suggestions? I only paid 700 for the car so I dont car to drop a little money into the car, but I dont need the car to be down for very long. I thought about having the engine rebuilt. But any suggestions would be welcome. Also, is there another honda engine that would just go right in without any changes other than the engine? Thanks again

Dvirr.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:16 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Kentucky, huh? Whereabouts in Kentucky?

Anyway, is it burning oil or just leaking somewhere?

Either way, you can probably pick up a d16z6 vtec (from the 92-95 EX/Si) that will more or less bolt right in for around $300. If you swap to a vtec engine and keep your stock wiring harness, you'll have to wire for vtec, which won't be that hard. But I'd heavily recommend you swap to the correct ecu if you swap to a different engine.

Welcome to the forum btw

Old 07-16-2009, 05:27 PM

I live about an hour south of lexington on 75. Im good with interiors and body stuff. Not so good with engines and wiring lol. Thats why I was hoping to find something to go right in so i could take it to my mechanic.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:42 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Cool.

As far as engine goes, now is always a good time to learn

Really, engine swaps aren't too hard, especially if you have a friend who knows what he's doing. Even two inexperienced home mechanics should be able to do a drop-in swap (like a d16z6 in your car) in a weekend. It's pretty much unplug everything, pull the engine, drop the new one in (it uses the exact same mounts you already have), and plug everything back in. As far as wiring for vtec goes, I believe it's only one wire you'd have to run, and that's only if you can't get your hands on a wiring harness from a 92-95 EX/Si. Personally I'd say try it yourself; it'd be a good learning experience, and honestly, what a mechanic would charge you to do the swap would probably cost more than the engine itself.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Recognized HCF Member

As Reaper asked, is the engine leaking or burning oil? Either way, depending on the cause, you may be able to fix the problem without doing an engine swap. How many miles on the engine?

Old 07-16-2009, 06:02 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by reaper2022
Cool.

As far as wiring for vtec goes, I believe it's only one wire you'd have to run, and that's only if you can't get your hands on a wiring harness from a 92-95 EX/Si. .

edit:"The P28 ECU plugs right in, you all you’ll need to do is wire the VTEC up. First, you’ll need to get an engine plug from a junkyard for the VTEC solenoid oil pressure.

You’ll need to run the blue wire (or whichever color is from the plug) to pin D6, and then run the black ground wire from the plug to anywhere on the motor. You then need to run the green wire from the VTEC solenoid to pin A4. "

Last edited by hamorhead; 07-16-2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: found a quote
Old 07-17-2009, 07:55 AM
March 2010 ROTM

Im in Louisville Ky, and I see D series motors going all the time for under 400 bucks all the time. Check the parts section of www.502streetscene.net

Old 07-18-2009, 07:10 AM

At this point, I think the car is burning oil, and leaking oil. I have just degreased the engine, and unfortunately Im going to have to pretty much park the car until I decide what to do. (lucky i didnt sell my old car right ) Anyhow. the car has 225k miles on it. But the engine runs good, and is quiet. I just cant figure out where the hell all the oil is going. ATM im putting 2 to 3 quarts in every 200 to 400 miles. SO. we shall see what I will do. But either way, i think it will be parked a couple months if it is a new engine situation. Thanks for any advice. And any more advice would definately be welcome.