EK Swaps 1996-2000 Civics

D16Y7 to what?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Default D16Y7 to what?

I have a 97 LX with the stock, non-VTEC engine. I'm looking at doing i/h/e, and I want to race here and there. First off, is this engine good enough to, with upgrades, compete? And second, if its not, what would a good engine to swap to be?

EDIT: Posted in a different section.

Old 08-17-2007, 04:21 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: D16Y7 to what?

The d series most people dislike. it is true you can make plenty of power out of them, however if you want to ever see much higher numbers i would go with a swap. The b16a2 for example is a great swap it will cost you probably about 2500 for the engine tranny ecu axles shift linkage. What you have to understand when doing this is you will need to get your wiring harness rewired i suggest rywire. And youwill need generally a new rear mounting bracket and sometimes a driver side engine mount. When doing the swap i suggest you go ahead and get urethane mounts from hasport or other company. You will also need to of course change timing belts water pump, rotor, plugs wires, and if you want clutch and flywheel all of this is much easier when its out of the car. I have a 97 civic dx and thats what i have done. its up to you hope this is helpful even though your post is a month old. oh and if you want to keep your dseries your going to have to do alot more work but one guy on here has a great post on how to make decent NA power on a d motor.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:46 PM
HCF Member

D series engines are perfectly fineand havestrong blocks. If your looking to compete and keep your engine i would look away from i/h/e, as that limits you, and look towards building and turboing your engine. I plan to build and turbo my y7. Im not sure if your car is stick or auto but if it is auto the greatest mod you could make would be swapping to a manual.

Old 11-27-2007, 08:14 PM

i have a d16y8 in a 96 ex what could i do for upgrades

Old 11-27-2007, 08:20 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: bcivic

The d series most people dislike. it is true you can make plenty of power out of them, however if you want to ever see much higher numbers i would go with a swap. The b16a2 for example is a great swap it will cost you probably about 2500 for the engine tranny ecu axles shift linkage. What you have to understand when doing this is you will need to get your wiring harness rewired i suggest rywire. And you will need generally a new rear mounting bracket and sometimes a driver side engine mount. When doing the swap i suggest you go ahead and get urethane mounts from hasport or other company. You will also need to of course change timing belts water pump, rotor, plugs wires, and if you want clutch and flywheel all of this is much easier when its out of the car. I have a 97 civic dx and thats what i have done. its up to you hope this is helpful even though your post is a month old. oh and if you want to keep your dseries your going to have to do alot more work but one guy on here has a great post on how to make decent NA power on a d motor.

well actauly the B16a2 swap is by far the most overrated swap around. Its torque isnt impressive at all, and an H22 will probably cost less or abotu the same and make 200hp w/ super impressive torque. Or you could do what ALOT of people around here are doing and build and/or boost your D, which will make around the same power as an H swap. While the H swap is a bit harder than the B, its definitely worth it with the numbers it produces. I actaully posted this earlier on a different thread, but it apples here too (from H-T):

H22/JDM F20B

Pros
200 hp
H22=156 ft/lbs torque
F20B=145 ft/lbs torque
Great torque
DONT WEIGH THAT MUCH MORE THAN A B SWAP!!
http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=684550

Cons
Harder to install than a B/D motor
transmission feel is vague IMHO
Less info out there for the swap (aka, less experience as they are less common)
Price of swap is comperable to a B18C5 after everything is said and done (mounts, etc)