EK Swaps 1996-2000 Civics

easy to swap??

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 01:24 AM
Default easy to swap??

i have seen a couple of articles giving detailed diretcions on a complete ekswap. method posted one for the h22 and i found the k20swap in the general tech. section.
h22 http://www.clubek.net/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=101
k20 http://www.k20a.org/ekk1.pdf
everyone i have talked to says it is a major pain in the a$$, but these guys make it sound pretty easy. with the h22 they had to do alittle grinding, andwith the k20they said you would just have to cut a small hole for the new shifter cables. noMAJOR modifications on either one. i'm confused. would it really be as easy as it sounds??

Old 03-28-2007, 08:55 AM
formerly aryiman98civic
Default RE: easy to swap??

it is going to be hard to work around the engine bay with the h22 and its not good for boosting.

for the k20, i have not heard many ppl talk about the swapping of it since its so expensive. you have to buy a lot more parts than what comes with the swap. i dont know how difficult it would be but the motor is awesome if you get one.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:29 AM
HCF Member

yea that video that byers posted the other day of the k20a hatch was just out of control. Seems like if its an easy swap ALOT more people would be swapping one in. The easiest would be another D series swap (but since you have a y8 already, you've got one of the best), other than that B series swap is challenging but still farily striaht forwrad.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:18 PM

most people say the b swap is still expensive and not happy with the outcome
ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

yea that video that byers posted the other day of the k20a hatch was just out of control. Seems like if its an easy swap ALOT more people would be swapping one in. The easiest would be another D series swap (but since you have a y8 already, you've got one of the best), other than that B series swap is challenging but still farily striaht forwrad.

Old 03-28-2007, 01:25 PM
HCF Member

well its just htat you could spend all the swap $$$$ on boosting/spray/rebuilding your y8 and get alot more power than the stock B. The D16y8 is one of hte best in the D series so perosnlaly if you have enouhg money for a swap, spend it on building the D instead.

Old 03-28-2007, 03:48 PM

wouldn't it cost more to build the d and boost it than to do the h22a or f20b swap? stock hp on these are 200, i'd be lucky to get 200hp on a boosted and built d series... right?

Old 03-28-2007, 03:55 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: 97_ex

wouldn't it cost more to build the d and boost it than to do the h22a or f20b swap? stock hp on these are 200, i'd be lucky to get 200hp on a boosted and built d series... right?
A standard boosted D with no internal work can net you 200whp no problem, as long as it is properly tuned. The word "built" is pretty vague. If you were to put some beefier pistons and rods in there, along with maybe a little headwork, and a bigger turbo, 300hp is fairly easily attainable.

The f20's go for around 1800 bones, which is more than enough to build a nice turbo kit. But then you've got tuning and miscellaneous charges. However, swapping in a motor like that is not exactly a straight forward endeavor. You've got to put in new mounts, new harness, etc..

Old 03-28-2007, 07:22 PM

i'm not making any decisions as of yet... i'm gonna do a compression test and maybe take it somewhere and have a leakdown performed before i make up my mind. i'm pushing 161k miles on my d

Old 03-28-2007, 09:50 PM
HCF Member

I'm planning on gsr swap near end of summer *fingers crossed*

Old 03-28-2007, 10:00 PM

if you have expiriance swaping engines and actually makeing them run and drive like stock, then you can say its easy.

i swapped a d16z6 into my ef, the swap was easy because the engine bolted right in, wire obd1 conversion was a little bit difficult, buti had a friend help me with more experiance in engine swaps. the swap wasn't easy, but it was far from hard.

now a k swap or an h swap are pretty much bolt in affairs with a good mount kit, but there is a lot more stuff to do to prepare for the swap and make it work. which takes more time, money,parts,and patience. and this can lead to unexpected setbacks etc. so based on that fact the swap itself isn't so difficult, its pretty much just labor, but to acutally get it to work without any significant problems and setbacks is the hard part.

Quick Reply: easy to swap??