EK Swaps 1996-2000 Civics

engines engines engines...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 08:35 AM
HCF Member
Default engines engines engines...

options options options.....
H22 to heavy for my liking although power/torque is appealing
B16 overdone to a certain extent but tried and true DOHC Vtec is just a sick powerplant
CrVtec is really appealing i think cost may be to high when all is said and done,
B18 resleeved?
K20 more expensive but less fuss?
My current 97 si has the sohc d16y8, turbo it? decent power output but can I keep it reliable?

what are your opinions, I've dont alot of reading but dont have very much first hand knowledge, i have a decent bit of cash saved up and want to make a smart decision

cost estimates/power estimates are appreciated, I know i can do a swap and such but building a CRVtec is going to cost me due to having to bring it to someone who knows more then I do, how many hours am i looking at paying for?

Thanks in advance

Old 08-08-2008, 10:01 AM
HCF Member

First i would figure out if you want to stay all motor or FI. If all motor then H22, LS/Vtec or B20 Vtec are your best bets. If you FI then B18c1, B18c, or B16A.

If you are a baller and money ain't a thing then K20a2 or K24a2 are both monsters for either na or FI.

Old 08-08-2008, 11:00 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Guitardude_15
options options options.....
H22 to heavy for my liking although power/torque is appealing
B16 overdone to a certain extent but tried and true DOHC Vtec is just a sick powerplant
CrVtec is really appealing i think cost may be to high when all is said and done,
B18 resleeved?
K20 more expensive but less fuss?
My current 97 si has the sohc d16y8, turbo it? decent power output but can I keep it reliable?

what are your opinions, I've dont alot of reading but dont have very much first hand knowledge, i have a decent bit of cash saved up and want to make a smart decision

cost estimates/power estimates are appreciated, I know i can do a swap and such but building a CRVtec is going to cost me due to having to bring it to someone who knows more then I do, how many hours am i looking at paying for?

Thanks in advance
alright, i'm gonna let all of this slide considering you're Canadian.

1. Research the H22, the weight and understeer myths are a load of dog crap made up by people that know nothing.
2. Any motor is overdone in Hondas, especially civics, so if you're going unique, a civic is not a good start.
3. a b20 vtec is hard to make good power and reliable, especially for you considering you have no mechanical experience.
4. Why would you resleeve a b18 block for no reason?
5. If you only have a little cash saved up, it's in your best interests to not go with a k20, as well as the fact that the swap is very intensive compared to others.
6. You can make any F/I motor safe and reliable, you just have to pick two of the three: Reliable, Fast, Cheap

and I digress.

Old 08-08-2008, 01:16 PM
HCF Member

haha thanks for taking it easy on me, I'm thinking FI I just want to make sure I do it right so I'll probably have more questions in the future, building my own turbo kit seems smarter then buying a kit, again any recomendations www.turbod16.com has lots of info but I'm intrested in your personal preferences

Old 08-08-2008, 01:17 PM
HCF Member

just look through the build threads in the hcf project section and read all the stickies. that's a start.

Old 08-08-2008, 02:18 PM
Super Cereal Admin

Originally Posted by ej6buddy
alright, i'm gonna let all of this slide considering you're Canadian.

1. Research the H22, the weight and understeer myths are a load of dog crap made up by people that know nothing.
2. Any motor is overdone in Hondas, especially civics, so if you're going unique, a civic is not a good start.
3. a b20 vtec is hard to make good power and reliable, especially for you considering you have no mechanical experience.
4. Why would you resleeve a b18 block for no reason?
5. If you only have a little cash saved up, it's in your best interests to not go with a k20, as well as the fact that the swap is very intensive compared to others.
6. You can make any F/I motor safe and reliable, you just have to pick two of the three: Reliable, Fast, Cheap

and I digress.
couldn't have said it better myself

anywho, if you want boost, I'd say keep your d16 and boost it... it'll be the most cost-effective thing to do. We have a good many turbo guides/FAQs/build threads around here to learn from, and turbod16 is a great place to get info.

Old 08-08-2008, 04:27 PM
HCF Member

couldn't have said it better myself
I know, that's why I said it....lol, j/k