EK Swaps 1996-2000 Civics

H22A1 swap??

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Default H22A1 swap??

Whats it gonna take to put an H22A1 in a 98 Civic. I can get motor and tranny. I know I need an ECU and harness. Not sure if it's possible cuz I believe the A1 came in pre OBD preludes. Or any suggestions.

Thanx for the comments.

Old 04-25-2012, 12:30 PM

This is not a mechanical issue topic. Moved to the swap section.

Anyways, you can check out my build thread. I swapped in an H22a last year. I went through a lot of problems and it has been 100% drive-able since about February of this year despite a few minor things I need to work on (fan not coming on as needed, and very minor axle issues)

H22a1 is the OBD1 USDM 92-96 Prelude SI VTEC motor. I do not think they made OBD0 H22's to be honest.

The information is out there. I suggest to start reading. However, the products which made my life easier were:

Hasport mounts (I had Innovative mounts before due to the price difference. I will NEVER do that again.) Buy them right from the manufacturer to make sure you have the latest edition. There have been a few revisions on them.

Hondata ECU (allowed me to remove and not have to wire in the butterflys that the OEM ECU looks for along with the EGR stuff)

Rywire engine harness (plug and play, no crossing wires and praying you got it right)

93 Integra Axles and a Manual Accord half shaft (prevents axle binding)

Do not go for the Manual tensioner from the H23 as it involves all H23 timing belt tensioner parts. When I did my H23 manual tensioner conversion, the belt kept wanting to walk off the cam gears (normal from what I have read). A company called Kaizenspeed makes a manual tensioner that re-uses all of the stock H22 parts. The Auto tensioner is known to fail after awhile. Not good.

**You will probably need custom exhaust work to mate the header to the piping you have on the Civic.

Do some hands on research and let us know if you have any specific questions. I will be happy to help. I could type all day about this and not be done haha. Many times I wish I just went B series since it is easier, but I do love that lower end torque the 2.2L motor puts out.

EDIT - Kaizenspeed, Rosko racing, and Explicit Speed Performance are AMAZING companies that primarily work with Preludes/H22's/H swapped cars. I would browse through those companies to see if there is anything you like!

Last edited by cvcrcr99; 04-25-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:16 PM

That info is really helpful. 96 had to b obd 2 thanx to the epa.

I was askin, because I found a complete motor and trans from a 95. Turbo, blow off, cooler, etc comes with if I wanna do that.

Harrd to find a B for the right money. This guy needs to dump it. Everything for $800

Old 04-25-2012, 01:30 PM

H swaps are becoming very cheap. I got my entire swap for $1200. 196whp/165wtq with a nice header and a restrictive intake system and exhaust. However, all of the other things I have bought in order for it to work correctly made the final total over about $5k. That doesn't include the S300 ECU that I already had from my supercharged D16 build. I had a guy local to me that also has an H swap tell me that H swaps make the car act like a prissy bitch. I agree'd with him and updated my signature.

The only reason I would have preferred B series is the axle issue. If it is not done right, or if you car has been in an accident (even if very minor) it can throw EVERYTHING off. Also, motor is a very tight squeeze. I ended up install the motor with the Innovatives first and it took me and buddy about 7 hours to actually get the motor in the car and bolted to the mounts. This was also after using pry bars to move the motor/mounts as needed. Scratched and damaged the powdercoated mounts like crazy. A shop ended up doing the Hasports because I was so fed up with not having a car, I just wanted it done.... another BIG mistake.. you will see if you read my project thread.

You are right, for the power it puts out, B series can be considered overrated; but they are a helluva lot easier to work with and install. I would go with a GSR (B18c1) motor with a supercharger on it if I could go back to last April.

Old 04-25-2012, 03:55 PM

I think thats a direct bolt up to my trans.?

Old 04-25-2012, 05:45 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
I would go with a GSR (B18c1) motor with a supercharger on it if I could go back to last April.
THIS^^^

Originally Posted by hondatech474
I think thats a direct bolt up to my trans.?
a B series will not bolt up to a D series tranny, if thats what you mean...

Old 04-25-2012, 08:04 PM

Thanx for the input. I guess that was supposed to be more of a question than a statement.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:59 AM

If that was a question, then Shandles answered it.

D series trans to D series blocks only, unless you have something like a H2D build, or H2B build, but that require an adaptor plate, engine mounts etc etc etc etc... the list goes on.

Old 04-26-2012, 05:36 PM

I' used to building some nasty small block fords, so this is all new to me. I love my Civic, but it NEEDS to be much faster.

Old 04-27-2012, 05:41 AM

Ok, well how much money do you have to spend on the car?

Quick Reply: H22A1 swap??