EK Swaps 1996-2000 Civics

obd1 b18b swap into 96 dx hatch

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2012, 07:56 AM
Default obd1 b18b swap into 96 dx hatch

alright ive got a 96 civic hatch dx with the d16y7 non vtec, and a 95 integra ls (b18b) with auto tranny. i want to swap the 1.8 in along with a b16 tranny. my hatch is manny so i dont have to drill holes in the firewall i just need the manny tranny. all i need is a complete list of what i need to make the swap. it will be an obd2 to obd1 swap. but before i put the motor in im yankin the head to convert to ls/vtec. i cant find a write up on everything i need and i get diff opinions from everyone. just want a full list so i know what to get and what to save off the integra. thanks.

Old 01-30-2012, 08:00 AM
HCF Member

with a short geared tranny like the b16 trans, and an ls/vtec swap, it sounds to me like you plan on windin' this baby well into the higher rpm's.

I would not advise that at all.

the b18a/b bottom end is not meant to rev above 7100. This is where all that "not reliable" talk comes from when people start rippin on ls/vtec swaps and conversions.

if you're going turbo, 3-400 hp is more than possible with the LS head, and it'll probably be more reliable too.

also (and this parts important) the b16 tranny is no good when bolted to an ls engine. the b18b has a torque curve different than what the b16 was built for, and the two just don't go well together.

there are TONS of b18a/b swaps that kept BOTH the LS head AND tranny and have NO problems at all with 300hp all day.

If you want vtec so badly, just get a GSR or b16 engine. it'll be cheaper in the long run, and (more than likely) far more reliable.

...just my .02

Old 02-01-2012, 05:06 AM

im looking for vtec yeah, but i was told it would be way cheaper to throw a b16 or gsr head on than to actually get a whole gsr motor. the b16 trans part was my thought just because of the shorter gears but i hadnt heard that they didnt go good together. if thats the case ill put an ls tranny in with a b16 head. i mean i have a donor car so buying a whole new motor right now just isnt my forte. but even if i went turbo on the ls, what would i need internally to run one?

Old 02-01-2012, 06:28 AM

What you would need internally depends on the health of the motor, and your power goals.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:43 AM
HCF Member

yeah, what he said. if its healthy, plenty of people turbo stock block ls's with not problem. i wouldn't push it too much. there's a great list of ls turbo setups on honda tech, but be careful, that website is full of ********.

if it were me, I'd tear the b18 apart, do rods, pistons and ARP hardware, have it balanced at a reputable shop, and mate it to the ls head with springs, retainers, valves and new valve guides.

go to goautoworks.com, they have great turbo setups for a good price. alotta ls guys and d16 turbo guys use them and I hear good things about their kits

you could run 300 hp all day with that setup. any more than that and you're pushing the limits of the stock cylinder walls.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:19 AM

thanks guy thats really helpful info. i have decided on going all motor. but i want vtec. so i think im gonna have to do some pondering over this one. but which would give me more oooomph in my hatch. a b16a2 or the b18b? my power goal is between 300-400hp. but im also looking for bang for my buck.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:46 AM

All motor with either of those engines will not produce 300-400 hp. Sorry. The only way you are getting up to those numbers would be by boosting.

B16a2 is a complete waste and is gutless. You will be essentially pull out your 1.6L for another 1.6L.

B18b would be better, but no vtec, unless you slap a GSR or a B16 head on it and convert it to an LS/vtec set-up.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:08 AM

i originally wanted to do ls/vtec. but i heard some diff stories. and my 1.8 has 200k on it prolly not even worth it. just wanted to see if i could work with what i got. but thanks for the input guys.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:17 AM
HCF Member

ls/vtec is a great setup as long as the conversion is done correctly and you don't rev it past the stock ls redline (otherwise you'll eat up your bearings in no time)

Old 03-14-2012, 05:21 AM

I have a 98 Ek Civic with the 1.6 in it im looking too swap a b18 it in out of a integra...Good idea or bad? Im looking for faster but trying to stay on the cheaper side. I've thought about a H22 Swap but just dont have the money for it right now. What would you think about a b18?

Quick Reply: obd1 b18b swap into 96 dx hatch