Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

~Rockin the D series vs. B series~

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 10:18 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: ~Rockin the D series vs. B series~

exactly. the B isnt about economy, its about potential.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: sacicons
exactly. the B isnt about economy, its about potential.
And the D is about availability, economy, and low weight.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:03 PM
HCF Member

Gotta give props to the B. But can't hate on the D. Doesn't matter though. Cuz Im rocking the best...THE K! Suckas! Just messing with you guys.

Old 09-08-2005, 11:10 PM
HCF Member

There whole thing about it is how many will use the full abilities of a fully built B series, you can get great numbers out of a D series for a fraction of the cost and with that also comes the pride in knowing you did not jump on the bandwagon just so people can hear the vtec kick in.

Old 09-09-2005, 12:37 AM
HCF Member

oh, dont get me wrong, I love the D series too. but i like that right now I have a very reliable high 14 second car with a pretty stock motor. the reliability is great, the power is great, and i know that when i decide to drop more money into it, it will net me more gains. if i had gone turbo on the stock motor (not really an option anymore, since i swapped due to a spun rod bearing in the d15.) i "might" have been able to get "close" to the 165-170 hp i now have at the wheels. but that would be pushing quite a bit of boost on some really tiny rods. and i will never believe that a d15 at 9-10psi will ever be as reliable as a stock b18c1. so even though they both have their advantages, and you really wont go wrong with either, I like knowing that the potential is there, ready to be unleashed by a weekend of bolt-ons.

Old 09-09-2005, 07:38 AM

lot's of people will be perfectly happy with 170hp N/A on a d-series, not to mention the cash in their pocket.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:08 PM
HCF Member

but 170 whp on an NA d series isnt easy. and if youre pushing it that hard, its not going to be nearly as reliable as my stock gsr.

Old 09-09-2005, 11:21 PM
HCF Member

it all depends on what you wanna do with your car really. if you just want a dual duty street car with a little power and in the 15s or 16s at the track then the D will suit you fine. but if you wanna full-race track-day car then youd be infinately better off with a B

and personally, id rather have cash under my hood than in my pocket, because its a lot harder to get it stolen from you when your walkin around downtown

Old 09-10-2005, 12:19 AM
HCF Member

you can pull 170whp out of a D with no problems if it is built correctly. 11.5/1 compression with a set of ITB's and fuel management coupled with 93 octane gas will net you this with a good tunning session on a dyno. Also a good header will go along way in helping this I'm talking a $600+ header not a DC Sports or what ever are the popular "cheap" headers. One more thing a built all motor D series + a lightened up eg hatch will be quick and great for track use if wanted(Road Courses not Drag)

Old 09-10-2005, 12:48 AM
HCF Member

oh yeah. the light weight of a d series makes it great for road courses and auto-x. but that build youre talking about isnt going to be much (if any) cheaper than my b18. i mean, ITBs alone go for damn near 2000. even homemade they are around a grand. with a good header, and the internals, youre into it as much as a gsr motor, with about the same power. granted, yours will weigh a bit less, but youre also getting into the point of diminishing gains on the D, so getting furthur into mods will get more and more expensive, with less and less gains each time. and then you start figuring that i can get a brand new tranny with an LSD for about 1500-1600 bucks, and a quality LSD for a d series will cost over half of that, let alone install and downtime.

Quick Reply: ~Rockin the D series vs. B series~