Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

91 Civic Wont Start

Old 04-05-2009, 04:00 PM
Default 91 Civic Wont Start

Hello, I'm having an issue with my 1991 civic 1.5L CX hatchback.
Just got the car, It has been sitting for at least a year. Trying to start, Had it running a few times, went to take it around the block and the car just quit. Can't get it started again. I know the battery needs to be replaced, he have taken apart the starter and cleaned it all out, it's good to go.
The car will crank, but wont start. It makes a wierd "plunger" sound after a second or 2 of trying to start it.
Had it running for 10-15 minutes in the drive way, and i know there is fuel getting to the engine.
There are no error codes registering on the ECM.

If anyone has some ideas that i could check out it would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-05-2009, 05:30 PM
Recognized HCF Member

You should put some fresh gas into the tank.

Do you have spark at the plugs (see Spark link in my signature)?

Do you hear the fuel pump prime for 2 seconds when the key is turned to ON(II)?

Old 04-05-2009, 06:01 PM

The thing is that it was running fine in the driveway, there is an incline that was making the car slant towards the front. Once it got onto level ground it quit. Would that have something to do with it?
I can hear the pump start up when the car get's turned on.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:06 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Check for spark and put some fresh gas in the tank. Is the CEL ON?

Old 04-05-2009, 07:27 PM

The CEL is not on, and there was fresh gas just put into the car today. Have not checked that sparks yet (need and extra set of hands) but i'll check them tomorrow and see how it goes. I'm guessing that they will be ok seeings as everything started fine already today, but who knows. Find out tomorrow
Thanks for the help so far, Greatly appreciated.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:55 PM

Changed the plugs and the battery, It took a little while but it fired. Took it for a test drive and stalled with an error code 15. Tried to look up details for ignition output switch but can't find to many details on it. Is it in the distributor?

Old 04-06-2009, 05:11 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Code 15 often indicates a bad igniter unit in the distributor:

Name:  picture_2302.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  80.2 KB

Old 04-07-2009, 06:14 PM
HCF Member

Try just cleaning out the cap of your distributor cap. These darn cars get all kinds of junk in their caps. Just clean it real well. Hopefully that'll get you working.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:39 PM
HCF Member

Also - make sure there is no buildup on the rotor nor on the metal prongs in the cap.

Old 04-08-2009, 03:28 PM

Well, back again, So, i cleaned out the distributor cap, and a few other little items in there was well and took it around the block. Everything was good.
Went out today, started fine, but stalled on me again, and again, and again. There was a new error code (16)-(fuel injectors) Did some reading and it says that before you go into the fuel injectors, to have a look at the Main Relay. Got that out of the car, and ya, it looks warn. There was a waxy type substance on it. The parts source guy told me that that is good and normal just a kinda of electronic jel stuff. I forgot what it actually was. So, reset the ECU, and cleaned the distributor cap again. Fired great. Have not had the #16, but i'm scared to really take it for a run.
The Distributor is now making a little bit of sqeeking. What should I do? I'm thinking of going to the wreckers tomorrow and getting another Main Relay just incase. Should i look into a new ignitor? or just a new distributor?
Could it be something else that I'm over looking?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 91 Civic Wont Start