Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

91 honda crx si

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 05:32 PM
Default 91 honda crx si

ok i got a 91 honda crx si d16a6 the car burns oil and im looking for a new head to put on it but i got a 92 honda civic d16z6 would i be able to use the head from the civic motor on the crx if someone knows this would be a great help thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 09:02 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 91 honda crx si

I wouldn't change the head just because it's leaking oil. At the very least, if you're going to take the head off, at least check it for flatness using a straightedge. The last thing you want to do is swap this part and find out you're still leaking oil. Maybe you just blew the head gasket. Even if your head is warped (which you'd figure out during the flatness test), then you can take it to a machine shop to get a thin layer shaved off for $30.

If you're set on changing the head, the A6 is obd0 and the z6 is obd1. The z6 is also vtec. You'd have to make modifications to your block in order to actually take advantage of the vtec, and you'd need to modify your wiring harness. Even if you didn't want vtec, you might have to change your wiring harness a little anyways to make use of this different obd-generation motor.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:09 AM

ok got ya but the only reason i wanted to replace the head on the crx is cause its my daily driver and it cant break down on me the vetc head is a bad idea cause of the wiring and whatnot but what heads will fit my car besides the one thats on it cause id like to just find a new one get it reworked and swap it out on the weekend i know the head is part of the problem the valves are makin a lot of noise and i have to add a quart or 2 a week do u really think i might have a warped head its got 215000 on the car and its got the orignal head and motor what would you do in this situation

Old 04-21-2008, 11:22 AM
HCF Member

well, your car is driveable for now. Are you sure you're burning oil and it's not leaking? If you see white smoke coming out of your car's tailpipe, then that's a good indicator that it's burning oil. If not, then it could just be a leak. If you have smoke coming out of the engine bay, that could be oil leaking onto hot engine parts and burning (but this just means you have an oil leak problem.

It's pretty easy to have a leaking oil pan drain bolt. Try parking on a clean part of the road for the next few days, each time you're about to leave, first check under your car to see if there's an oil patch (or move your car and see if there is one). If there is, then you might want to try replacing your oil drain plug and gasket.

You probably don't have a warped head unless your car overheated. You should change the radiator fluid about every 30k-50k miles, so if you haven't done that in a long time maaaybe you could have overheated. It's common that people don't change their radiator fluid (aka coolant) because it won't ever make a difference in your fuel economy or how the car "feels". Still, unless you were on some long drive and the heat level needle went up near the red line, then you probably haven't warped your head.

Again, I want to emphasize that while you need spend more money on oil until you get this problem figured out, calm down and just spend the extra $3 a week on 1 or 2 quarts of oil until you can figure out where that oil is going. Check the ground, check your rear view mirror or have a friend drive behind you for a few miles (and let you know if they see any smoke or smell any weird odors). If you just change your head, you might be unnecessariliy spending a lot on labor and parts for a cheap fix.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:31 AM

good point but im defnatlyburning oil though i know it for a fact an as for the car blowing a head gasket i have no idae i just bought the car a few weeks ago and i know for a fact its got a new timing belt but dont know bout the radiator fluid maybe it was never changed but whats weird is the last oil change the guy did was at 212000 which would put the next oil change at 215000 but when i got the car the date when he changed to oil was at the end of the year in 2006? could the car have blow the head gasket and he just had it replaced without checking the head?

Old 04-21-2008, 12:43 PM
HCF Member

How do you know your car's burning oil? Smoke? A smell? If I were a mechanic and someone came to me saying "fix my car, it's burning oil, I know it for a fact" I'd ask him why he thinks so. If I didn't get any reasons, I'd just do some diagnostics and see how it goes from there.

I don't get your logic about the oil change and changing the head. An oil change has nothing to do with changing the head gasket.

Yes, you can replace the head gasket without replacing the head, and that's what I've done when I've had oil or coolant burning problems. You don't need to replace the head just because it's burning oil, it could just be the head gasket. If you overheat, your head might expand and crush the head gasket, causing a leak. If this happens, your head could still be in perfectly fine condition. If your car overheated, changing the head may not fix your overheating issue. If you crushed your head gasket, you may not need to change your head. Get over changing the head until you know it's warped.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:31 PM
HCF Member

That sucks that it burns oil,
cheak the head gasket,
as for the z6 swap,
do you want to do a whole mini me?
because this will help you alot.
https://www.hondacivicforum.com/m_45390/tm.htm

Old 04-21-2008, 11:41 PM

i know for a fact it burns oil when i rev it above 3000 rpm my buddy thinks my piston rings are bad i was 2 quarts low last week and this past weekend i had to put 2 more in it so u can say its not burning oil cause it sure as hell aint leakin from anywhere an my friend says a reworked head is a bad idea on my motor cause the new head might put stress on the old block but thanks for ur help anyways and the oil change thing i was sayin is the guy i bought it from put 3000 miles on it in the past 2 years so he didnt know how bad it burned oil but i drive this car daily now and have to add 2 quarts a week. i want to find a 1.6 nonvtec motor to replace the one i currently have anyone with a stock motor please let me know