Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

'93 1.5 sohc NO SPARK

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 05:01 PM
Default '93 1.5 sohc NO SPARK

I'm new to this forum so I apologize if I put this thread in the wrong category.
Before you ask, yes- I searched for help before making the thread.

Here's what I've been up to:

I've got a '93 civic DX 1.5 16valve SOHC. The engine has no spark. I've not found any blown fuses under the dash or in the fuse box under the hood. Spark plugs/rotor/dist.cap were very trashed. I replaced then but doing so did not help. Ignition coil terminal is clean and I'm getting about .8 ohms of resistance between terminals A & B (in spec), and about 19,200 ohms resistance between coil top and terminal A (in spec). I followed chilton's procedure for checking power to ignition module. I replaced the module with no difference in behavior.
I doubted my battery voltage (12.5) so I swapped batteries with one that had full charge of about 13v. The ground on the water hose housing is clean and has continuity to the dist. housing.

Side note: Before this spark problem began, I had been losing #1 cyl compression and eating coolant (motor still ran fairly well keeping coolant topped up). One day, *Before replacing my timing belt + head gasket, the motor failed to restart. It was then that I discovered lack of spark. Motor rolls over fine but no spark.

As of now, the engine has new head gasket, full valve job + head skim, timing belt, etc... all installed adjusted and buttoned up. The aforementioned electrical troubleshooting was done by me (after head gasket repairs).

Any and all advice is appreciated!
These cars are great and I'll be happy to be driving it again.

Last edited by Agitator; 08-17-2010 at 05:13 PM. Reason: biffed on spelling
Old 08-18-2010, 10:54 PM

anyone?

Old 09-12-2010, 01:01 PM
HCF Member

check your coil... then all your grounds... and make sure you did not lose the screw out of the rotor.. could b as simple as your rotor is not turning

Old 09-26-2010, 04:08 AM
Default I hear you!

Same thing is happening to me! I checked my compressions by pulling all plugs and cranking engine while checking all 4 holes. When I reassembled everthing I had no spark. Obvioulsy I fried something by not allowing the spark to go somewhere.
I have replaced the ICM, Coil, plugs....still nothing. I have done all the diagnostics to the sensors...all good. There are no warning lights. The ECU seems to be ok. Fuel pump works fine....just NO SPARK!
No body seems to be able to come up with an answer on this. If I hear--check timing--check coil, ICM one more time.....I have done these tests a hundred times. All is good....12 volts to ICM....timing right on....just
NO SPARK.
All fuses seem ok, ECU seems ok.
I have read dozens of posts with this problem and no one posts a fix....surely someone out there has cured this problem.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:25 AM
HCF Member

did you check your rotor???? sometimes the screw gets loose and falls out, if the rotor doesnt turn.. no spark

Old 09-27-2010, 10:37 AM

According to the manual, my test results (with multitester) indicated that the ignition module was faulty and that the coil was fine. In reality, the coil was at fault. I was able to return my new module and purchase a coil. Problem solved. The car runs flawlessly again.

By the way, even without a screw, the rotor must turn because the shaft is cammed on one side for a positive drive of the rotor. I loctited the screw on my new rotor.

mke, check your fuses. This is often caused by a blown fuse. Also, to rule-out your rotor and dist. cap, connect an ignition wire directly to the coil tower when checking for spark. That will rule-out those other components without you having to replace them.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:01 AM
Default Ah haa!

Agitator...thanks for the thoughtfull post. I was out of town a couple days but thinking about this problem alot. I came back last night and went out to the dead Civic and found the problem.
I took a multi-meter to the dist cap and found no continuity from the middle carbon button to any of the spark plug pins!
I assumed the cap was good because it looked new (along with the wires). All of the ignition componants are now new (coil, icm, plugs), which isn't a bad thing for a car with 185K miles on it.
My own worst enemy is the assumptions I made...test....don't assume.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:44 PM

That's why I like to test for spark right off the coil tower; rule-out all those variables. I'm glad you got it sorted!!! These cars are awesome. I was so frustrated when mine wasn't sparking. I had done a full valve job/head resurf. and water pump timing belt etc... then... no spark #$%^&*(

I hope you enjoy your car.

~Tator