Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

95 Dx cracked head??? not so sure now

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 10:29 AM
HCF Member
Default 95 Dx cracked head??? not so sure now

I found a 1995 DX with supposedly a cracked head, coolant leaks outside the eingine, not mixing oil and coolant,
what are my options as far as a replacement head, I'm new to civics.

I'm not sure the current engine, I'm guessing from what I've read it's a d15? what heads are compatible or do I have to go back with the stock one?

Thanks,
Chris

________
SEX VIDEO

Last edited by chriskatana; 03-10-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:37 AM
Default RE: 95 Dx cracked head

You could get a new (used) head off ebay for prob around 50 bucks.

Or the best option would be a mini me. A vtec head on that block. Search on here for mini me and see what you think.

Old 07-15-2005, 08:42 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: 95 Dx cracked head???

I got the car today, and it's not actually leaking water to the outside of the engine, and there's no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil.

here's were it get's weird...

I've got EXHAUST in my COOLANT. that's right, with the radiator cap on, pressure builds inside the radiator and it spews a little bit of coolant along with exhaust gas into the overflow bottle. I relize this probably means that the head is toast, I was just looking for a second opinion as this is one strange set of symptoms..

Thanks,

Chris

BTW other than the exhaust/coolant issue, the car runs like a top. and eventually overheats when all of the coolant has spewed out..
________
TEEN VID

Last edited by chriskatana; 03-10-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 09:10 PM

Re you sure it exhaust. Cooling systems are pressurized. Do you get any white smoke from the tailpipe? If your getting exhaust in the coolant Id assume youd get coolant in the exhaust which would show up in the form of white smoke.

Old 07-16-2005, 03:32 AM
HCF Member

NO,
there is NO SMOKE AT ALL, could it be that the radiator cap is bad, letting coolant out at low pressure?
HMMM....

I am pretty sure that it is exhaust. I'll try a nw cap first.. and check the water pump/t-stat etc..

Thanks,
Chris

________
AVANDIA CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT

Last edited by chriskatana; 03-10-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:18 AM
HCF Member

Sounds to me like it could be radiator cap, head gasket, or warped head. I would of course do the cheaper one first. Also, a compression test amd leak down test can tell you for sure. Do a google search to see how these test are performed. You will need the test gauges, but they are not that expensive. You can also just take it in to a shop for those test. Just make sure you read up on them so you can know what the results are telling you. Oh and the radiator cap can also be taken in for a pressure test.

Old 07-18-2005, 11:59 AM
HCF Member

I have a head off a D16Y7 I would sale for cheap

Old 07-19-2005, 03:36 PM
HCF Member

how do I test the water pump? There is very minimal flow through the upper radiator hose. like i can pinch it off and just barely feel any coolant flow through, if i run with the radiator cap off, i don;t see much coolant moving through the radiator, If i leave the cap off to crank it, i get a pretty good bit of spew when i turn the key, but that goes away immeidiately after the enging starts running.

Little help here.. I'm faily sure i've got a cracked head, but need to diagnose all other issues before i fix that to keep it from reoccuring.

Thanks,

Chris

PS can you put a D16 head on a D15 block?
________
CHRYSLER NORSEMAN HISTORY

Last edited by chriskatana; 03-10-2011 at 03:37 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:26 PM
HCF Member

were you testing this water flow while the engine was at normal operating temps? The thermostat will not allow water to flow until it reaches full operating temp. How are you pretty sure you have a cracked head? Have you performed the tests I suggested? Compression and/or leak down test. Before you go tearing up your engine I would be 100% sure.

PS,
water pumps don't fail that often. They are fairly inexpensive and a good item to replace when you either take the head off, or are doing a timing belt change. Mine has gone for 200K miles without a problem. I replaced it only because it has so many miles and I was doing my timing belt.

Old 07-19-2005, 05:33 PM
HCF Member

PS can you put a D16 head on a D15 block?
Yep, that's what LEVIII was talking about when he said "Mini-Me." It's putting the 1.6 V-Tec head on the 1.5 non V-Tec block. Essentially just transforming it into a V-tec motor with a bit higher compression than stock.

Quick Reply: 95 Dx cracked head??? not so sure now