Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

97 Civic timing belt

Old 12-22-2009, 05:29 AM
HCF Member
Default 97 Civic timing belt

My Civic has 280,000 km and the timing belt was replaced at 135 so I'm wondering if I should replace it and how important is this. I'm pretty good with mechanical stuff so is this something I can do myself if needed?

Old 12-23-2009, 01:17 AM
HCF Member

Typically timing belts should be changed every ~60k miles...(leave it up to you to convert to km). you could remove the cover and inspect it. A warn belt would show visible cracking where the belt is more stretched like where it rounds the timing gear/s. Being that its an interference engine its better safe than sorry. A slipped timing belt could total the head at least.

Old 12-24-2009, 06:52 AM
HCF Member

What about if I can change it myself?

Old 12-24-2009, 06:54 PM
Chubby Chaser

its not a hard job to do, you should be able to change it yourself
here is a link to the online downloads for honda manuals, it will show you good diagrams and instructions on what to do.

http://hondatech.info/downloads/Auto/Manuals/Civic/

Old 01-18-2010, 10:46 AM
HCF Member

I guess it wouldn't be a hard job if you had the right tools and things were not broken/seized up. The pivot pin on the altermator was seized so that took an hour plus to get out, tap and cleanup. I tried to loosen the crank pulley but you definately need a chain wrench unless someone knows of another method. I tried a strap with no luck. I also found that the bottom left motor mount was toast and of course the nuts that are welded inside the frame broke loose so I had to take a sawsall and cut the bolts. I still don't know how I'm going to fix this. Any ideas? I also figured that since I'm doing all this I might as well change the other three belts. I already have about 10 hours into this job not including running around for parts. Now I'm waiting for the motor mount, belts and a solution for the broken motor mount bolts.

Old 01-19-2010, 08:30 AM
HCF Member

I searched around for a solution regarding the broken nuts but there wasn't one. I had to cut a hole through the frame. I just put a little hockey tape on the nut and forced it into the boxed end of a wrench and positioned it above the hole for the motor mount, I used locking nuts. I welded up the hole once I was done. It actually went pretty smooth. I spend about 2 hours doing this and putting the rest of the belts and parts back together. Hopefully I did everything right.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:22 PM

changing the timing belt is a must. i do it every 80k miles on my 97 civic. have already taken it to 190k plus and changed it twice

Old 06-14-2010, 12:04 PM
HCF Member

its time.. get it replaced now, you'll end up spending much more later

Old 06-14-2010, 12:23 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by sbrdiscount View Post
its time.. get it replaced now, you'll end up spending much more later
this thread was created 6 months ago in december 2009. quit bringing back old threads and like his post saids, he replaced it already

Old 06-15-2010, 05:49 AM
HCF Member

If you read the whole post you will see that the belt has been changed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 97 Civic timing belt

Advertising
Featured Sponsors

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.