Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

AEM Pulley's

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:07 PM
HCF Member
Default AEM Pulley's

Are these worth it to purchase? i've heard mixed things...anyone running with them? I don't know anything about the pulley system in a car and I was just checking out the pulley system on AEMpower.com....they sound like they'd be great just judging by the description of the product but there somehow always seems to be a story behind that...any help would be great!

Old 05-01-2007, 02:38 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: AEM Pulley's

I've actually done a lot of research on 'underdrive pulleys' for awhile. These are my conclusions from research.

Some people say it's a waist of money, you don't get much horsepower increase and you loose your A/C, and your battery drains especially if you have sub's and play your audio loud.

However, I think aslong as you get all 3 underdrive pulleys you will get atleast a 3-5hp increase. And it would def help get more hp to the wheels. You will only loose the A/C function if your at a stop and your car is idling, and if you don't blast your music and use too much amps your battery wont die.

Some people just put one pulleyin, but I think you really need all 3 to feel a difference. The two main company's that make reliable pulley's are AEM and Unorthodox. I recommend not spending your money elsewhere on pulley's. It will also be a big project getting them installed where the stock pulleys are. So if you don't know much aboutit you would have to get it done by a mechanic. So for all 3 pulleys it will cost around $300 (for Unorthodox racing AEM will be a little less expensive). Plus the cost for a mechanic if need be. Also here's a link for more info http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/

Worth the cost for 3-5hp??? Up to you to decide.

Old 05-01-2007, 10:12 AM
HCF Member

thanks for the great in-depth response bro...can you just explain to me a bit more on why the pulley's drain your battery? I really don't understand how they would do that...I'm running 2 amps and have 2 subs and new speakers all throughout so it doesn't look like the pulley system would be for me! thanks for the info!

Old 05-01-2007, 12:04 PM
HCF Member

the alternatormakes less power because the belt isnt being spun as much/as fast, as does the A/C...

Live 4it is speakin the truth....good post bro.