Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here.

ah..Frankenstein, Aey?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 06:49 PM
Default ah..Frankenstein, Aey?

research of a friend says that b20 block with b18/16 head.is awesome...
plz give me your opnions on this... Tq from the suv motor and Vtch from other...
how much hp would this have... is this a great idea? or not.

Old 02-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Default RE: ah..Frankenstein, Aey?

the main benifit of this is the amount of tq you will have with vtec (as u said already..lol). the only thing i have against it is that just like the LS/Vtec they are notorious for loosing oil..many ppl will tell you to stay away fromt hese things because of the bad stories mainly leaky head gaskets...if it was me id just stick with like a boosted b18 or somthing...but im sure kappa and sacicons among others will help you out more..just my opinion.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:16 PM
HCF Member

Eclipse Auto in San Diego did something similar, if not the same, back in 2000. It was featured in Import Tuner and the results were beneficial.

Old 02-07-2005, 07:53 PM

i havnt realy decited.. but im was goin 4 h22.. but they semm too much trouble.. yeah they have a but load of power but there are more downsides then goodthings. so im gunna frankenstien.. a b20 block.. from a the suv-crv.. an a b18or16 head. so that way ill get the Tq from the non vtch.. then added Tq from the vtch head.... cuz the b20 is better cuz its non vtch.. it will jup i front of a vtch engine before the vtch kicks in.... so if you get the b20 block and then a vtch head... by the time the othe guys vtch kicks in your alrety did......

sound like im on to something or no?

Old 02-07-2005, 08:50 PM

Well, let me straighten a few things out for you. First of all, you say you're worried about how much trouble an H22 swap will be. While it's true that it will be harder to install and will affect the car's handling and balance, a CR-VTEC swap is going to end up giving you a whole lot more problems. Frankentsteins are some of the hardest engines to maintain unless you know exactly what you're doing, since most shops won't touch them. There's more than a good chance that you'll end up spinning a bearing or something similar, since B20's aren't made to handle the kind of rpms a B18C or B16A is (or any other VTEC motor, for that matter). Bottom line: stay away from any Frankenstein swap.

H22 is a bit better of an option, but a B18C1 (turbo) or C5 or B16A (all-motor) will be much better.

Old 02-08-2005, 11:22 AM

thanx for the advice

Old 02-09-2005, 09:58 PM

i thought the frankenstein was the k24 block k20 head

Old 02-09-2005, 10:24 PM
HCF Member

theyre starting to call it that, but it was originally the b-series Vtec head on a non-vtec block.

Old 02-09-2005, 10:26 PM

frankenstein is just 2 different parts.... like a different block and a different head.... correct me if im wrong

Old 02-10-2005, 12:41 AM

Well yeah, now it can basically refer to any engine with a head and block that didn't originally go together. But sacicons is right; it originally referred to B-series top swaps (LS-VTEC was the original frankenstein).

Quick Reply: ah..Frankenstein, Aey?